Gray eggs

pop.gif

I just found this thread of yours. I am very interested in your gray eggs, as it seems most people would be. I will be watching to see if the new gray egg produces a chick. Please keep us informed!! If I am following this post correctly, the gray eggs are coming from chickens with mixed origins? It sure would be a fun project.

I was admiring all the different egg colors and especially intrigued by the gray. I was wondering how to breed for it, how to introduce it, how it would probably be impossible to just run across one and how to introduce different shades of eggs if I was to get in to breeding....you know random chicken stuff. And then my pullets started laying. I'm even more fascinated with egg color. I've specifically started my flock with breeds that lay different color eggs, more so I could more easily track who was lying what, and lo and behold one of our pullets has been laying gray eggs! She's just some random Easter Egger I picked up as a chick. She's my daughter pride and joy and I think she lays the prettiest eggs. I have a sage green, olive green, pink tinted, blue, brown, and now a gray in my basket!
Here is a picture of her latest, and prettiest offering IMO:

And here it is in comparison to the sage, blue, and brown eggs!:

I thought it was just the bloom on her first eggs. They are more greenish when they are wet. But it doesn't wash off and as soon as they are dry they are distinctly gray again. I didn't wash this one yet. I think I might blow this one out. Gray with blue speckles, I think it's really unique!

Well the thing is if you wash any egg it will change, but you do not wash an egg before setting..., mine stills stays pretty gray after a wash..., I had to delay my hatch because of how the holiday my egg is due the 16th

To the people who claim it is only the bloom. If you wash a BCM egg the color will fade, but nobody says "it is only the bloom" with BCM.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom