Grazing Frame - Fodder Table Box - Continuously Grow Fodder & Seedlings & Sprouts For Chickens

Nice day out today, so I let the girls have some direct access to the sprouts. You can see the areas they've been kicking up the mulch onto the plants.
chicken-sprouts1.jpg

As an experiment, I decided to rake up some of that area, pull out the mulch, and drop in some new seeds:

chicken-sprouts2.jpg

I think after this experiment, I'll give them full-access to the inside, let them have their fill for a few days, then raise the frame up about 6+ inches to see if that helps with the mulch covering.

I guess I could also pull out some of the mulch we added to the run. :idunno

Nice day out today, so I let the girls have some direct access to the sprouts. You can see the areas they've been kicking up the mulch onto the plants.
View attachment 2468011

As an experiment, I decided to rake up some of that area, pull out the mulch, and drop in some new seeds:

View attachment 2468014

I think after this experiment, I'll give them full-access to the inside, let them have their fill for a few days, then raise the frame up about 6+ inches to see if that helps with the mulch covering.

I guess I could also pull out some of the mulch we added to the run. :idunno
Here’s an easier way...just a suggestion. Instead of raising the box to keep them from kicking and scratching mulch on it you could just add a 2x4 “fence” around the top to make a barrier and that way your fodder growth can stay the same height before it reaches the wire! Just an idea.

Here’s an easier way...just a suggestion. Instead of raising the box to keep them from kicking and scratching mulch on it you could just add a 2x4 “fence” around the top to make a barrier and that way your fodder growth can stay the same height before it reaches the wire! Just an idea.
Hmmm... interesting idea! I guess the girls could just jump up and over it to get at the goods?

Hmmm... interesting idea! I guess the girls could just jump up and over it to get at the goods?
If they can’t jump/fly over 7” they need to go on a diet! Haha
Yes ma’am that was my thinking for sure. It might be a leaf/debris trap though now that I think about it. If the lid comes off easily it can be flipped and cleaned periodically I guess.

Wow, everything about that looks great!!!

@ZephyrCoveFarms, in your climate/zone, how long do you expect this batch to keep growing before you'll need to reseed?

... and once this is "done", how will you proceed? Just add more seed, or turn over / mix up the soil and then reseed, or something else?
I have no idea, I am playing it by ear! It was nearly 80 degrees today then a cool front blew in about an hour ago and dropped the temperature twenty degrees and still dropping. There are no hard freezes until late January through February down here.
I will probably find some warmer weather grass for the spring and summer.

Back
Top Bottom