Grazing Frame - Fodder Table Box - Continuously Grow Fodder & Seedlings & Sprouts For Chickens

I'm curious whether the sprouts will suffer from chicken poop build-up after awhile? Always heard that the high nitrogen content burns seedlings.

I tried growing seeds for my girls over the summer. I used this mix, which is just about enough for 2 or 3 window boxes. But they loved all the grasses in it.
Screenshot_20201231-154706.png

Then I gave them red wheat sprouts, which they were not excited about until everything died in the freezes we had!
1231201346.jpg

Next, I will try this mix. In my experience in the yard, they go nuts most for any kind of clover.

Then I gave them red wheat sprouts, which they were not excited about until everything died in the freezes we had!
Ya, I was super bummed when I had a similar experience with my red wheat sprouts. They just didn't seem to care :(

Next, I will try this mix. In my experience in the yard, they go nuts most for any kind of clover.
I definitely want to experiment with some other stuff... especially clover!

Wow, looks GREAT!!

I think I'll want to try a completely different mix next time.

Even though the BOSS grow great and the girls like them, I don't think they are idea for a grazing frame. I think my BOSS are crowding-out / shadowing the grasses. I'm tempted to do a clover, but I worry a similar thing would happen.

I was also very surprised and bummed that my girls didn't devour the red wheat when given the chance. I mean, I'm sure they are eating it as it grows through the frame, but probably just because it's green... not because they really love it. I haven't done extensive testing, but I'm hoping they'll like other stuff better... and that it's something that is somewhat readily available and easy to grow.

Back
Top Bottom