Grazing Frame - Fodder Table Box - Continuously Grow Fodder & Seedlings & Sprouts For Chickens

Pics
I'd imagine any smaller would make the *potential* problem worse, and any bigger would be bad for their feet.

I haven't heard / seen any reports of this actually being an issue. My girls aren't very aggressive, and I doubt other chickens would be so aggressive it would cause beak problems.

That said, maybe in a situation where there are a TON of chickens in a confined area with limited food, so they are all pecking violently to get at whatever greens they can... there might be a problem with beaks / hardware-cloth.

... but if that's happening, there are bigger problems / solutions to look into.
Thank you. There will only be 5. And the plan is to make whatever I do more than "big enough" or numerous enough to make it worth doing. Was thinking of doing multiple different ones, likely with something different growing in each one. Maybe even rotating which they have access to at any given time. I may even do containers that can easily be rotated in and out of the run rather than just building IN the run. (I have a pretty much unlimited supply of free containers of one sort or another. And free is always good!) I can also see if they like alfalfa for free since we grow it. Once it starts growing here in a month or 2, I can just pick some and see if they even like it. If they DO, there is no reason to put any in a container as I can just pick some from the hay field.

Eh....1x2 14ga is what I use in my isolation crates.
It would work good for grazing frames, especially for any plant with larger leaves than the 'grasses'(wheat, etc).
Thanks for the post. I definitely should have said "any bigger *might* be bad for their feet, or not be as supportive for walking"

1x2 is pretty big though. Wouldn't their feet easily fall through it, or maybe even get their heads into it?

Thanks for the post. I definitely should have said "any bigger *might* be bad for their feet, or not be as supportive for walking"

1x2 is pretty big though. Wouldn't their feet easily fall through it, or maybe even get their heads into it?
Like I said I use it in my crates, no problems, tho I do usually put a piece of 2x4 for 'wire relief' and to roost in there. I have only large fowl birds tho, bantams might be a different story.

I also have used it on grazing frames and forage holder on the run wall.
Never had a head get stuck.

I don't know much about growing grains, fodder, etc., but I will say this:

I'm SHOCKED that the seeds I planted months ago are still growing and providing bits for my girls to nibble on.

I'm assuming it's the red-wheat that just keeps going and going and going...

I thought for sure it would have died-off after a couple of months so I could then open up the top, let my girls finish off the scraps, and then move the bed to a better location and raise it a little bit.

... but it just keeps going strong with no signs of slowing down.

:confused:

Update:

About a week ago we tripled the size of the run to encompass an area where we don't usually let the girls. This area is FULL of grass / weeds (mostly wild oats) that's been growing like crazy.

Well, since having access to all this growth, and all the new dirt, bugs, etc., the girls have neglected the grazing frame!

I think they are still pecking at it as they pass by on their way to the new area, but they definitely aren't mowing it down like they were when it was the only green they had access to! LOL

How big is that in feet by feet?
Hmm... no idea, but if I had to guess, probably at least 500+ sq. ft. more space.
Give 'em a week or three, they'll decimate the new ground and be back at the buffet.
LOL! I hope so! Actually, that's the main reason we gave them access was to do some weed control / abatement ;)

Back
Top Bottom