Great forum!

off-grid hen

Songster
Mar 1, 2011
Upstate NY
Hello! I am new to raising chickens- in fact I haven't even started yet! I just placed an order for day-old chicks. Hatching date is Monday, April 18th. Getting some Partidge Rock Hens, some Partridge Cochins, Rose Comb Brown Leghorns, Red leghorns, and some Speckled Sussex. I figured I'd try a few each of different breeds so I can figure out what birds are suited to my area and tastes. I am not sure if we want just eggs or egg and meat birds so I got a mix and match of dual purpose and layers. I hope they all get along! I am off the grid. We generate our own electricity with PV solar panels. I will be asking lots of questions about passive solar coop designs and what has worked well for your winter coops. I am considering solar flood lights on a sensor for discouraging predators, which we have quite a few of. I'm crossing my fingers that my MacGuyver-ish husband can build Coop Knox. I am concerned about poisonous wild and garden plants, as I live a mile back in the woods. I've been doing lots of reading, and I have a few coworkers with birds. One is a professional meat and egg bird farmer, and the other two are more hobbyist but all are very experienced. Hubby's family also raised chickens when he lived in England. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that between the freezing cold, many predators, and possible poisonous plants that my girls do ok, haha! I am really excited about this, as are my husband my 5 year old son. I live on the border of VT/NY/Quebec in the Champlain Valley.

(Edit to add location and fix a typo.)
hmm.png

Last edited:
WELCOME!

Wow. OFF the GRID!! Everyone's dream. No Gas bill, No electric bill, No water bill... hmm.... where and how do you get your water? A well that you pump with your solar power?

We have a battery storage system, which we run AC power from. This runs our whole house, including the well pump. The solar panels and generator (when the sun doesn't shine- which is pretty much all winter here!) charge the batteries.

and It's not free, but we don't have a monthly bill. Just a big lump sum we paid all at once.
wink.png

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC! I started with chickens over the summer and the people of BYC have been great. Please visit my BYC Page for my blog links that you may find informative or amusing.

Thanks for joining us! I am looking forward to hearing about your off-grid techniques.

You may be interested in TheEasyGarden.com and SufficientSelf.com. I am interested in these things, but lack the time to wade through the detail and would love to get pointers on the most useful stuff.

Quote:
welcome-byc.gif
frow.gif
from California

No bills!!!!!!!!!! I wish!

I've been trying to learn about solar again. My brain doesn't hold infor long, so have to go over and over things. I hope whatever you do turns our great and you post lots of details along the way.
thumbsup.gif

You'll have to post pics when the chicks get there.

Back
Top Bottom