Great-horned Owl Fun in 2018

Was the juvenile Missouri Dom killed in the pasture or the barn? How was the owl able to kill it if it was penned?

Killed it in the barn, by GHO. I have yet to see it directly, but GHO reaches through wire with either head or foot and grabs victim pressed up against wall of pen. Owl then employs cervical dislocation to quickly kill victim. Owl usually tries to move smaller victim to better location for consumption, but when unable begins consumption on the spot. The GHO's are wiling to get into tighter locations than I thought likely once they have a prey item. It could really put owl in bind if my dogs can get close.

Owl forces victims in pens to flush from roost and panic into corner of pen. Mature chickens (games) seem resistant to that approach.

It is easy to find accounts of parties where owls kill penned chickens. Chicken wire is actually very effective against owls.

Owl is again spending a lot of time in barns. No chickens where disturbed around 0200. Mice alone a reason to visit. House mouse population is exploding even in pasture well away from barn. Vegetation in most areas with exception of where elevated pens are located and barn makes hunting them difficult. I can see mice crossing path during when simply walking to pond which gets not supplemental feed. This critter watching is intense!

To keep observations coherent.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/opossum.1257452/page-2

Owl on ground.
gho-on-ground-night-new-light-installed-jpg.1461149

Son and checking up after first visit by owl. We hung back to listen on how the chickens reacted. Funnest part of this is working with my kids and learning with them.

son-and-i-checking-after-first-owl-visit-jpg.1461150

Owl perched on BOSS storage.
gho-perched-on-boss-storage-jpg.1461151

Owl trying to get at carcass left by Red Fox in cage.
gho-trying-to-get-at-chicken-carcass-in-a-cage-jpg.1461152

Owl taking a breather after trying to get at carcass.
gho-trying-to-get-at-chicken-carcass-in-a-cage2-jpg.1461153

What stupid looks like. These guys are dead set on roosting up and exposed on the same latter I have been using to access hide for fox. The GHO would get one for sure. These guys have been within a foot or so of the GHO each night since almost hatch.
What Stupid Looks Like.jpg

This guy got a good scare a couple weeks ago from owl while he was roosting. He now sleeps in a box.
Smarter by Trial.jpg

Owl is not major concern, but it sure a pest when trying to trap a fox. They may be hunting poultry yard in close proximity to each other at same time. Below are images of owl messing around live-bait (juveniles chickens) kept in live-traps near foot-hold traps buried in ground.

BUSH0310.jpg
BUSH0324.jpg
BUSH0347.jpg
BUSH1644.jpg

They are a pain. Juvenile chickens in elevated pens the owl has been harassing are starting to waffle about going into pens to roost, or not. A group of full-sibling games in one of the pens almost went to roost in high weeds until I intervened. Would keep them safe from owl but would them in serious jeopardy with Red Fox we have yet to trap. Hopefully tonight is the night.

@cmom, can your birds see owl in the moonlight? If yes then go out on your porch starting about 2020 and listen. Owl likely to be working your place like clockwork.

Back
Top Bottom