Great-horned Owl Fun in 2018

Pics
It has been a long spell with little interest and what did show was negative. The negative has been largely removed but made clear most are not interested in the chickens beyond the chickens themselves.
I think many may be watching but refrain from commenting.

You are not always open to discussion and many do not understand your viewpoint and background, that can make communication difficult and unsatisfactory.
Have been under the impression that you are documenting your observations for your own record and for others to read and learn from them.

It's true that most the audience here are not much interested in science...
....I am tho and hope you continue to post.

I like those interested in learning. The judgement part is a downer. Another party is trying to do similar with carcasses left out and is pretty quickly taking a hit from the judges. I have dealt with that for a while and gotten defensive making so interest in inputs not obvious.

The judgement part is a downer.
Seems to be a lot of that on BYC these days, unfortunately. I realize everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but when it turns into right fighting, foul attitudes and immature verbal sparing that's going too far. I don't do Facebook because of that kind of stuff. Hoping this site isn't going to end up like that.

Seems to be a lot of that on BYC these days, unfortunately. I realize everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but when it turns into right fighting, foul attitudes and immature verbal sparing that's going too far. I don't do Facebook because of that kind of stuff. Hoping this site isn't going to end up like that.
I do not think things will get bad here. The moderators have been pretty consistent at stepping in, but the incidents need to be reported in a timely manner. Some of the threads have been degraded for so long they are beyond repair. I have not seen the bad stuff on Facebook, likely because my family is a bunch of fuddy-duddy's. I post some the the same stuff there but my family and friends expect such because interest has been sustained since a little kid.

The moderators have been pretty consistent at stepping in, but the incidents need to be reported in a timely manner. Some of the threads have been degraded for so long they are beyond repair.
Mods are good at stopping the nasty fighting...it's the chatting and comedy routines that can also renders so many threads near useless that grate my nerves.

Oops let's not derail this thread ;)

I have seen my little buddy only a couple times since last posting. Both times it was in same spot in same oak tree at SE corner of poultry yard. It must have had a rabbit somewhere. I will be going out every little bit to look and listen to get a last observation in for 2018.

New years resolutions will be to: 1) find nest, 2) see if I can get the conservation department to allow me to tag a carcass to see where owl takes them to when too heavy to fly all the way back to nest (it is kind of nasty tying dead things down by running a wire through them), 3) construct a nest in woods they use in 2020.

Back
Top Bottom