Great idea's for heating water,how about pictures?

Quote:
I would also think that by having two separate containers for water it would be less time consuming to change out the water and you would not spill it all over yourself when you threw out the old water. If it is really cold and blowing lots of snow I want to do it as quick as I can.

For those that made the cookie tin heaters, where did you buy the tin? I have never bought an empty tin of that size in my life (and we don't buy tins of food at all) and don't know where to look...

Angiebubs wrote:
Why do you need to add a dish or sand to the heated dog dish? I am planning on getting one of those and thought I would use it just like I would for a dog-add water?

Filling the bowl with sand allows you to set a "poultry fountain" on top of it, which keeps the water cleaner and lasts longer than a bowl full would​

I just stumbled upon this idea.

It is not my idea, but it looks like it would work.

The waterer sits on a cinder block.
55336_p1050125_640x480.jpg

The cinder block has a stepping stone on the top as a cover.
Inside one cavity of the cinder block is a light bulb.
The light bulb puts off just enough heat to keep the concrete block warm.
The waterer then sits on top of the concrete and keeps it just warm enough not to freeze.
55336_p1050131_640x480.jpg

55336_p1050132_640x480.jpg

Quote:
I did something similar to this....didn't use a stepping stone on top, used a thin piece of metal taped down the cinder block. Overall, it worked, but for me it didn't work when it stayed below freezing for several days in a row.

I also had to play around with the wattage of the bulb according to the temperature. I had to end up using a 100W bulb. But, it may differ for some & according to where the waterer is kept, whether inside the coop or outside & the type of waterer...whether galvanized or plastic, etc.

Mine would still freeze, at least at the top at times in a plastic waterer. Also, it was hard for me to check on the light bulb as you couldn't see it without moving the waterer & whatever you have on top of the block, so many times the way you knew the bulb had blown out was noticing frozen water.

Not sure if I did something wrong or what, but that was my experience.

Not sure what I'm gonna do yet this winter. I may try the sanding the heated dog bowl, or I may try the cookie tin water heater. I might try keeping water in the coop close to a light on a timer on these shorter daylight hours. I might even invest in one of the heated chicken waterers (from what I've seen not much more expensive than the heated dog bowl).

Mine was outside

Back
Top Bottom