Great or Terrible luck

raeleigh26

Songster
Dec 22, 2015
I ordered a second incubator. Guy took money and split. A fact we didn't realize until 4 days past the promised delivery date.
A date which I'd carefully scheduled to have my 15 day set and my 10 day set and my new set organized in perfect synchronicity to begin hatching in the old one and incubating in the new one for a two week cycle.

Sigh. The universe had other plans.

Ordered a new new one that should've been here in 3 days, but only arrived today, 4 days late. This is day 22 of my oldest set.

14 have hatched perfectly healthy. No foot or leg problems this time.

It wasn't until I began to move the younger eggs-
(that I'd planned on candling a few extra times since they spent 4 days in lockdown on their 7th day on)
-that I realized they were cold.

The old incubator quit with the new one barely 3 hours set up and stable.

I hastily switched tops. Water candled all of them (16 left) with only 2 definitive wobbles, I eggtopsied one I was positive was gone, only to have my ignorance sharply jabbed into my chest as the chick stopped moving in my hands. One crack was all it took to bleed it to death.

Another I dropped. 2inches. It had pipped, with no progress, and my arthritis coupled with my frantic heartbroken state may yet have doomed this little one as well.

It's currently blow dried, bottom still on after nearly bleeding out, (I replaced it in the broken shell until it pushed itself out before the yolk was absorbed totally) it's had a careful drop of water and 2 crumbles of food, been warmed again, and is currently nestled snugly in an egg carton "shell", where hopefully it's not too weak to close the remaining little bit of navel and recover.

There have been no more pips.

But I'm so reluctant to give up. I'll undoubtedly give them a couple more days.

Dh has another incubator on its way. The 15th it should be here.

Last edited:
I water candled them again. 14 dead still, 6 wobbles, with 1 peeping.
Lockdown, phase 2.

Little guy from op I think is coming out of it. Kinda acts brain damaged.
Was definitely weak, got some B complex in him and a bit more food and water. He plops flat on his side and sleeps a lot. But is moving around and much more lively, and fights more.

More bad news; we had a bad storm last night, lost an older chick to cold and it damaged the trap door that let's them underneath the coop, I believe one fell. She was cold, but after getting her dried and warmed up, she has an injured leg and much bruising on her belly. Don't think she'll make it.

Farming definitely isn't for the faint of heart.

WELL! Had no progress with the initial pip, a second pipped backwards and no progress this morning, and a third just pipped the shell!

I'm confident in my skills to get them out safely, the first had the membrane glued to its beak. The second just can't move to zip. The third I'm leaving alone, just adding some humidity for good measure.

Fingers crossed all hatch out well!

Oh! And little doofy is hard to spot now he's doing so well, except he's smaller...

Last edited:
Farming definitely isn't for the faint of heart.
Boy, ain't that the truth! :hmm
Sorry you are having so many problems. I HATE incubating. It has caused me so much heartache this year. Luckily I have very broody hens and they have taken over my hatching. I had barely a 30% hatch rate when I used an incubator... 85% hatch rate with my broody hens. The ones that didn't hatch out under the hens turned out to never have been fertile in the first place - so technically the hens have a 100% hatch rate on fertilized eggs. I'll keep my bator around for emergencies...but handing the hatching job over to my hens.
Good luck with your remaining eggs!

Please don't put live eggs in water...that's a good way to kill them.
Use a flashlight in a dark room to check for movement in the egg next time.

Please don't put live eggs in water...that's a good way to kill them.
Use a flashlight in a dark room to check for movement in the egg next time.

Normally, I'd agree with you 100%

Didn't think any were alive.

-***but..... this was days past hatching date, after catastrophic incubator failure, where they were cold for unknown hours(days? The alarm didn't sound)......***

I've never water candled before, but never had call to.

The 14 that hatched perfectly hatched on day 20- Sunday.(Friday was lockdown, so I misspoke in the op) No pips or anything except the one doofy. Didn't want to toss the lot without a sure way to tell they were definitely gone on day 23 (Wed). Got them hatched on day 25-Friday. Yesterday.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom