Life

LaurenRitz

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Nov 7, 2022
Kansas
I am sitting here at midnight, reading random posts on BYC as my babies are in lockdown, day 19/20. One of the 7 has externally pipped.

I have a set of older chicks right beside the incubator, and every time they squeak I wake up thinking it's the new babies.

I finally figured I might as well get up, since I'm not sleeping.

The last (the youngest of the older set) hadn't pipped when I went to bed, and when I woke in the morning she was out.

First hatched about 10 minutes ago. Chirping up a storm. 3 more pipped, although I have a question about 1.

20231017_140415.jpg

One of the pipped eggs has feathers showing on the outside of the shell. Is that normal?

Looks like pipping at the wrong end? Those are feathers sticking out and I can't see the beak.

Attachments

• 20231017_155006.jpg
    20231017_155006.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
If I fold back the membrane I can see the beak on the one that's pipping on the wrong end. I'll check her again in the morning.

Today is day 20, and there are 3 more to pip.

So, I brought in the teenagers (4.5 weeks and 6 weeks) and they are NOT happy to have the babies in their space. 🤣 The teenagers have been spending their days in a broody cage outside, and coming in at night because the young one isn't fully feathered yet.

Back
Top Bottom