Great POV video on processing meaties

" Check out bowhunters thread. 61 day old chicks ate 22.55lbs of feed per chick and averaged 7.14lbs processed.  $.34 per pound of feed is $7.66 + $2.25 shipped for chicks = $9.91 cost with a retail of $21.42 ($3/lb)"

Wow! My brother and sisters are getting a deal. I didn't know I could be making that kind of profit. I'm selling em at break even. Todd S, my family is not gonna like you when I tell them the price is going up and it is your fault. Ha! :)

I currently pay $3 a pound for a pastured chicken so I used what I pay for comparison. also used my current feed cost and the cost of my chicks. I'm sure there is some equipment to factor in there but it would quickly be spread out.

There is certainly profit to be made. Now are you going to make $100k?? Only if you raise a boat load of chickens.

We'll see how my first batch finishes out but I very much plan to make money doing this and I dream of doing it full time.

I'm confused by this

"This is not something that is profitable for the most of us."

Joel has a book that tells you what to do, he has another farming and marketing book. They walk you through how to do it.

Check out bowhunters thread.

61 day old chicks ate 22.55lbs of feed per chick and averaged 7.14lbs processed. $.34 per pound of feed is $7.66 + $2.25 shipped for chicks = $9.91 cost with a retail of $21.42 ($3/lb)

I'd say that is really profitable.

His 42 day batch was smaller so only $3.18 profit per bird on those.

Don't forget power to heat the chicks and the time it takes.. as well as bedding.. I make about $10 a bird after all is said and done. I'd rather work full time than do meat birds for a living. The effort it takes..

I am an accountant, so I am a stickler for keeping track of expenses. It is far more than just feed and the cost of chicks. What about your start up costs? It takes a VERY long time to break even when you have pluckers, and stock pots and knives and killing cones and housing (not even going to include the waterers, feeders, bedding, heat lamps, etc) to consider.

Last edited:
first I've seen anything like that!pretty slick, and quick!takes my wife and I about an hour to do about 6 birds! skinning them out , and saving the heart,gizzard and liver! average eight birds between 6-10 pounds. he's freaking awesome!lol

first I've seen anything like that!pretty slick, and quick!takes my wife and I about an hour to do about 6 birds! skinning them out , and saving the heart,gizzard and liver! average eight birds between 6-10 pounds. he's freaking awesome!lol

Don't sell yourself short. 6 birds in an hour is really good work!

Don't forget power to heat the chicks and the time it takes.. as well as bedding.. I make about $10 a bird after all is said and done. I'd rather work full time than do meat birds for a living. The effort it takes..

I am an accountant, so I am a stickler for keeping track of expenses. It is far more than just feed and the cost of chicks. What about your start up costs? It takes a VERY long time to break even when you have pluckers, and stock pots and knives and killing cones and housing (not even going to include the waterers, feeders, bedding, heat lamps, etc) to consider.
Funny I'm an accountant too. Only I can't stand working in an office, I'd much rather we working with the animals and garden all day. Everyone is different.

I just started raising them for my family, we currently buy about 100 a year from a local guy. If you or I make $10 a bird that is $1000 savings the first year. That would pay for a plucker and stuff you need. I just built two killing cones with scrap I had around, built a pen for about $50, have knives and large pots already.

Marketing is where I'm going to struggle, would love to hear more about what you do. Do you have a website? Do you go to farmers markets?

I'm planning to start small, if I can get to the point where my birds end up free by selling some I'll be happy, if eventually it makes some money even better.

Back
Top Bottom