Great Pyr Puppy Problem

pmhobia

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 8, 2011
I acquired a Great Pyrenes puppy about 3 weeks ago. She is about 9 weeks ago and quite a handful as she wants to chew and bite everything. At first, I thought it was just a Pyr's nature, but today, after I disciplined her ( tapped her on the nose and said "NO"), she turn around and actually attacked me. I picked her up and held her until she calmed down. I would love to hear from anyone who has experiences this with their Pyr before. I knew when I purchased her that she would be stubborn and independent, but I was not expecting this at just 9 weeks old.

Keep disciplining her. If she attacks pick her up and put her in a kennel for 30 mins. Keep with this. Only take her out after 30 mins is over or to go potty/feed and water.

Well at this age she is teething, so you need to get her toys to chew on. As for the biting, try to discipline her in another way; put her in a kennel, spank her (well if your OK with that of course) have a spray bottle with water and spray her when she misbehaves, that sort of thing. Hope that helps

she turn around and actually attacked me.

I picked her up and held her until she calmed down

I'm not sure I'd want to be teaching them the way to get attention is to attack.​

After she attacks you, you shouldn't pick her up and hold her til she calms down.

That is a reward. That is going to teach her to attack you, as it is a reward. One more time of that and you will have a dog that bites people pretty reliably every time it wants something or doesn't get something it wants.

It is not 'aw it is just cute widdle puppy, it don't mean nothin''. No matter HOW you hold it, it is a reward if it isn't an actual, obvious, clear and immediate correction that actually HALTS that behavior - IMMEDIATELY.

At this age they are as smart as they are ever going to be, and they can put an immediate punishment with a behavior and learn, 'That is not allowed'.

This is when dogs start forming habits that they keep their whole lives. This baby period is their foundation.

You don't EVER want to get this sort of behavior started, because it will end with some bit up people and a your dog at Animal Control getting put down.

If a pup attacks you, you discipline it, same like its mother would. Put it on its back and give it a good shake and growl, 'NOOOO!'

Do it VERY VERY FAST - like lightning, RIGHT when she attacks you.

You don't hold it til it calms down. That is saying, 'good dog, good for attacking me'.

If you keep going how you are going, you're going to have a lot of bit up people and a dog that Animal Control takes and puts down. And while even a chihuaha can bite pretty nasty, this dog is going to rapidly grow toward a hundred and fifty pounds or more. This is NOT something you just cuddle up with when it bites.

Pyrenees are very smart, active and protective dogs. They also are very stubborn at times and they test the waters like any dog. If you don't teach them WHAT to protect, they are going to be protecting their feed bowl from your hand and their chew toy from the neighbor's baby's face. Those instincts need training.

Last edited:
I found with mine a can with some rocks in it taped up works very well when disciplining. Every time it does something wrong throw the can hard real close to it. It will scare the crap snot out of it and does learn not to do that. Remember that a Pyrenees albeit a great dog it is very independent and can be very stubborn. Good luck with you puppy
smile.png

I don't use a shaker can for discipline, I don't want my dog to scare at noises. But I do want him to know that Mommy turns into The Old Testament if anybody makes to bite her.

shaker cans do have their place in training, but not for this. Who walks around with a shaker can all the time, ready to discipline bad behavior? Doing as welsummerchicks suggests is the best thing you can do. Your reaction has to be immediate and firm.

Is this being raised and an lgd or a house dog? And, yes, either way if she attacks, grab her by the scruff of then neck for a good shaking and 'come to Jesus meeting' . Dog with this temperment, and size are like a loaded weapon, nip it in the bud very early.

We went through this with Brago at 8 weeks. The answer is SCRUFF THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS OUT OF THAT PUPPY! Snatch the scruff of the neck and shake until the pup thinks you are going to kill them dead right then and there! NO TOLERANCE for people aggression. Nip that in the bud NOW. Picture this dog with owner/handler aggression... NOT!

226941-R1-13-11_014.jpg

Brago has never shown so much as a grumble at any command he's given since he was thoroughly convinced on that one occasion that he would die a horrible death if he showed aggression towards us.

Back
Top Bottom