Great Pyranese...another idea I got from this site.

Chicky Joy

Songster
11 Years
Jun 22, 2008
Ok, I've been reading tons of great posts about Great Pyranese dogs. Other than the poor woman who was drug through her yard by her bunny slippers (great story by the way), people seem to be raving about this breed of dog.

So, I was wondering what else I could learn about the breed from those of you who have or have had them.

Would they be ok as an outside dog? My hubby doesn't allow dogs to live in the house. We don't need another dog at the moment but my dog is getting up in years and her job is to keep watch over our chicken coop.

I don't have one, but have studied the breed. They are livestock guard dogs, that is their job. They are not to be inside on the couch type dog. They need and love their job. Great Pyrenees get huge. You need to get it as a puppy so it can bond with whatever it is to protect. I just love these dogs, so loyal.

Sweet. I've always liked large breed dogs but our house isn't big enough to keep one inside, even if hubby agreed.

Wonder what one costs...?

We have a 1 year old Female Great Pyranese. actually she is 3/4 great pyranese 1/4 border collie. She is a wonderful dog. A little hyper at times, but then again I haven't meet a dog that doesn't get that way at times. She is a good guard dog. But is also in the house. We got her at about 5 or 6 months old. The people we got her from had her kenneled all day in the house, in the city. She was not used to being able to run and just be a dog. After a little work she really is a great dog.
I love the large breed dogs. And would very much love to get another great pyranese. Just a matter of time and $$$. Someday I will get another though.

But yes, this breed is not necessarialy ment to be in the house. Our dog is wonderful about knowing her boundry lines as to where she is allowed and not (the road). Didn't take her long to learn things either once we got her. again just a little work.

The last time I mentioned this (to another person), I got jumped on a bit, but there are some wonderful looking GPs on Petfinder. Its always nice to rescue a dog if you can
smile.png
I have a pyr mastiff cross and she is wonderful, and she is a teriffic chicken watcher. She loves to be outside and is not needy, but she adores my kids and comes in the house to visit and be loved on.

i have an almost 10 month old male great pyr. IMO he is the best dog i own! he has kept away snakes and foxes recently. he lives outside but does come in everyday. he is housetrained and very well mannered. they do not eat any more than a german shepherd. he gets along with my other 3 dogs,cats,bunnys,horsesand the chickens.
he is vary of strangers and will sound "the alarm" if something isnt right. i got him when he was 22 weeks old and never was around livestock. they are an all around awesome breed of dog!!

Quote:
Not sure where u live but here is a link to our local GP recue group they could prob hook u up w/someone close to u...if and when we get one I'll prob go through these guys.
http://www.floridapyrs.org/

Oh my gosh- I went to that link and then clicked on availible dogs. About halfway down the page is a male named Shammy lounging by a kiddie pool with poultry all around him and a chicken chilling in his lap
love.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
Not sure where u live but here is a link to our local GP recue group they could prob hook u up w/someone close to u...if and when we get one I'll prob go through these guys.
http://www.floridapyrs.org/

Oh my gosh- I went to that link and then clicked on availible dogs. About halfway down the page is a male named Shammy lounging by a kiddie pool with poultry all around him and a chicken chilling in his lap
love.gif

I know!!! I so want one!!!

Back
Top Bottom