Great Pyrenees cross Puppy and Chickens

Embuck

Songster
5 Years
Feb 24, 2014
I'm totally new to LGDs, so I have a lot of questions. Can an 8 1/2 month old Great Pyrenees Anatolian cross with no livestock experience be trained to guard chickens? How would one train such a dog? Those are the main questions. More will follow depending on the answers to those. Thanks!

Will be interesting to see how you go. You will probably need more than just a few second hand experiences to go by, your pup's already getting pretty old for the initial bonding period as defined by most LGD keepers I've heard from.

Quote:
Lots of helpful links in there, and there's a manual you can get for $13.

Best wishes.

Thank you very much for the link. It looks very useful to me. I'll keep reports of how the dog doing coming.

It can be done, BUT it will take a lot of time and training. First of all , if you're just aquiring this dog, at 8 months old, it is in full jerky teenager mode. Just keep that in mind. I lost several chickens to my male Anatolian when he was 4- 11 months. He won't touch them now, but poultry is the hardest thing for them to leave alone.
The dog needs to be penned within sight and scent of the birds, but not in with them. Take him in with the birds on a long lead several times a day so you can correct any unwanted behavior. Inappropriate responses are ; staring at stock, ears up, chasing, pawing at them. You want him to basically ignore them, walking calmly and slowly, ears back, no darting around or trying to play with them. Try this FB group also: learning about LGDs.

Thank you very much for the link. It looks very useful to me. I'll keep reports of how the dog doing coming.

You're welcome, I look forward to hearing how you go; I intend to be getting some LGDs or other livestock guardians soon myself.

Best wishes and good luck!

Back
Top Bottom