Great Pyrenees - to buy or not to buy?

Pics
I have a medium sized/ large bird hunting dog. She is two years old and I just recently got chicks for the first time since getting her. I've been showing her the chicks every day in a controlled situation so she couldn't kill them if she wanted to. At first I thought it wasn't going to work and that she would be a chicken killer forever. But recently she's started to be really friendly with them. She sits quietly and doesn't lunge at them or bite them. I still have a lot more work to do but I think it might just work out.
All dogs will want to kill chickens. In my opinion it's just a matter of training. However some dogs are probably more easily trainable than others.
If you get it as a puppy, you'll probably have an easier time training it then if it's older too.
As far as keeping the dog from escaping, I have an invisible electric fence. The collar has a gps so you get notifications whenever she escapes and can track her every move. I've done a LOT of training with the GPS collar and it's really payed off. She doesn't even wear the collar sometimes because we know she won't be going anywhere.

Hi all, new to the forum. I have 27 lovely chickens, 5 goats, and one dog (friendly dingo-shepherd mix). We do have foxes, bears, and large coyowolves here. I lost one hen last summer, not sure what happened to her. The different animals mostly get along mingling in the barn. The pyrenees seems to be the most popular breed in my area (northeast ohio) for protecting herds from predators. However, the breeders I have spoken to (one a backyard breeder, and one an AKC breeder) both said their puppies' parents have killed chickens. How much of the dog's behavior is nature and how much is nurture? Also unrelated to chickens, Pyrenees are known for running off, and I don't think I can handle a dog with no recall, it would be too stressful for me if it got out and I had to chase it across town (if it survived the cars). Also, I know myself and I would not have the time or patience to devot to extensive training. (The way I trained my current dog, I told him loudly, if he peed in the house again, I was taking him back to the pound. He got the message.) My current dog is pretty good about alerting me to predators, and I imagine I could just go outside and shoot them if there was a problem. I work from home and currently sleep in the barn. While wildlife predators are a threat, I'm actually more concerned with human predators. What do you think?
I have 2. I raised them along side the chickens. They even slept in coop as puppies. They will chase and kill chickens. They are good at notifying me about hawks and predators. They have killed a hawk. They mostly like to kill dark colored chickens. They runnoff. They run off and laugh at you as they ho. They like to jump in the lake and swim then go to local bar and go in their kitchen. I keep them behind fencing. They do not get out if 4 ft high But, will climb if provoked enough. It like watching a cow jump the moon.

Hi all, new to the forum. I have 27 lovely chickens, 5 goats, and one dog (friendly dingo-shepherd mix). We do have foxes, bears, and large coyowolves here. I lost one hen last summer, not sure what happened to her. The different animals mostly get along mingling in the barn. The pyrenees seems to be the most popular breed in my area (northeast ohio) for protecting herds from predators. However, the breeders I have spoken to (one a backyard breeder, and one an AKC breeder) both said their puppies' parents have killed chickens. How much of the dog's behavior is nature and how much is nurture? Also unrelated to chickens, Pyrenees are known for running off, and I don't think I can handle a dog with no recall, it would be too stressful for me if it got out and I had to chase it across town (if it survived the cars). Also, I know myself and I would not have the time or patience to devot to extensive training. (The way I trained my current dog, I told him loudly, if he peed in the house again, I was taking him back to the pound. He got the message.) My current dog is pretty good about alerting me to predators, and I imagine I could just go outside and shoot them if there was a problem. I work from home and currently sleep in the barn. While wildlife predators are a threat, I'm actually more concerned with human predators. What do you think?
I would spend the money and time on making your current setup more predator proof.

LGDs as a whole are not considered to be mature until they are 2 years old. They take true dedication and LOTS of time to train, they bark - a lot, they roam. I don't want to be cruel but if you don't have the time and commitment to train them well and carefully, I think you should find alternative to getting an LGD.

Hi thanks for addressing my inquiry. Let me clarify, I spend a ton of quality time with my dingo-shepherd mix; he goes on all my errands and trips with me, and he is extremely friendly. All the cashiers at Home Depot and TSC have treats ready for him. However I did not have the discipline to do any formal training exercises with him; we flunked basic obedience school. Still a no-go with the pyrenees?
I recently obtained a 4 yr old Pyrenees and I love her to death. She learned very quickly not to chase the chickens (which was her first instinct) and now roams the yard with them. The chickens are more afraid of her than she is of them. However, the first thing I learned about her is that she has a lot of issues from her past. So my suggestion would be, if you decide to get a Pyrenees, to get a young one and raise it up the way you want it to go. They are very smart and learn very quickly. They bark at everything that moves which is what she is good for, scares away the villains. I am not sure if she would actually kill anything because she has not been tested at my location. She is just a big, happy, house dog.

Have two male australian shepherds. Never had to train not to kill. They love chasing hawks, buzzards, eagles. Will go out to rescue. Take around to mark territory on 10 acres. Learned that from a master gardener. Live by a state forest. Not much comes on the property anymore. Have occasionally left a coop open at night (I’m old!). My free ranging group (7 roosters 18 hens) is in woods and open pastures. No losses (knock wood). Never open in am without dogs. Have seen them drive off a coyote but would not leave out at night. Too valuable

I have a medium sized/ large bird hunting dog. She is two years old and I just recently got chicks for the first time since getting her. I've been showing her the chicks every day in a controlled situation so she couldn't kill them if she wanted to. At first I thought it wasn't going to work and that she would be a chicken killer forever. But recently she's started to be really friendly with them. She sits quietly and doesn't lunge at them or bite them. I still have a lot more work to do but I think it might just work out.
All dogs will want to kill chickens. In my opinion it's just a matter of training. However some dogs are probably more easily trainable than others.
If you get it as a puppy, you'll probably have an easier time training it then if it's older too.
As far as keeping the dog from escaping, I have an invisible electric fence. The collar has a gps so you get notifications whenever she escapes and can track her every move. I've done a LOT of training with the GPS collar and it's really payed off. She doesn't even wear the collar sometimes because we know she won't be going anywhere.
How do you control things coming INTO your property with the electric fence?

In general, livestock guardian dog breeds bark bark bark bark bark bark and are very independent. Many are not safe to leave with poultry until they have fully matured, which they do at a slower rate than many other breeds. In general, they have a tendency to dig under or climb over fences. Our dogs protect the perimeter of the property and run freely with the sheep. I can't let the chickens free range with the dogs because they are too tempted to play with squawky flappy things. A lot of people think they need to raise the dog in the pen with the birds. I wouldn't want my dog laying in the poop. The dogs don't have to be bonded with them to protect them. They go after whatever would be approaching the pen, including hawks. They are loving and not at all aggressive to people that they know. I say this as an Anatolian Shepherd owner and neighbor to Maremmas and a GP.
I agree with the "that they know" statement. My dog is in the 100 pounds range and scares everyone when they first come to my house. After they meet and get to know my dog (and her them) everything is fine.

Back
Top Bottom