Great question!

What the? Wow, so, I thought eggs floated...?? Why do they do this?
My ducks are in a large pen w/their 4ft deep pond always available to them. They are never enclosed in a coop or other structure at night. Are they more prone to do this if they are locked at night than free 24/7?
Crud, I need a 7ft fishing net now!

Last edited:
Tell me about it! I gotta start training the ducks to go in at night! They go in on their own now so I dont see any reason why they shouldnt when the new run is complete! Must be weird laying eggs in the water though! I think I should get a prize for "The most craziest, yet super relivent question EVER!" . I wonder how many people are up to their shoulders in water fishing out eggs right now!
lau.gif

Yep, found an egg in the bottom of the pool this spring. Whodathunk it?
Ducks...they're not just a job, they're an adventure.
smile.png

The second egg that i ever found was where the kiddie pool wood over flow and it was sitting right under the flow of the water! I never had any IN the water, but i have had them right around the pool under the lip of it. But my ducks have free roam in the pen 24/7, but they usually always make nests and lay them inside their house or near the hay bale!
It must be like giving water birth!

Last edited:
yuckyuck.gif

Oh and Oddyse, I specifically went looking in the smilies for a trophy one for you but couldn't find one. Please accept this humble thumbs up instead:
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
Will a duck poop? Yes young ducks drop eggs everwhere, including the pool, most grow out of it with a little time and practice. If you lock them out of the pool in the morning till about 9:30 it will help since most ducks lay during the night or in the early morning. Toss any pool eggs they won't hatch or cook them for petfood, they will be full of germs.

Do ducks only lay at certain times of the day/night? How can you avoid them laying in the water? (new to ducks...mine are only 5 weeks old, still working out if they are male or female)

Do you need to supply them with straw or nesting materials?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom