Great, red mites!

Right now I only have to use it on one rooster who the mites target.  I put directly on him where the mites are.  I re-treat him when I see a few mites on him again, which is about 3-4 weeks later.  The oil is thick and strong, so it doesn't take much.  I have only been using it for a few months, and just put it on the roosts once, which was 2 months ago, so I probably should apply some again.

You might be able to find it in the organic section of a garden center, or a nutritional products store.  There's a thread about it called Neem oil for mites.

Yes just looked it up seems like a good preventative measure. What do I do if the mites are on the feather shaft? I guess if I put it on the skin may be a few drops around the vent and a few drops under each wing and maybe one drop in the back of the neck that will target most of the areas that they might be. Thank you again that's an awesome suggestion that's more natural. I did do my research on the seven dust and it does not look like good stuff which is horrible because now I have a pack of three bottles coming to my house and I don't know what to do with them now lol

The ability to properly dust bath in winter because of frozen ground can allow mites to get out of control.

True! I have an area that is a 3 x 3 area full of washed Riversand and I put a bunch of chicken dusting powder in there if I can just find a way to get some wood ash took her in there as well when I put the chicken powder and they loved it and dust bathed for like two hours. Probably need to add dust regularly like weekly in the winter

I also started probiotics in their water and apple cider vinegar. I think after this month they will finally be in coop and run heaven lol. One of my girls has coccidosis and is being treated with a tablet for 7 days and then this happened.
1f629.png

Yes just looked it up seems like a good preventative measure. What do I do if the mites are on the feather shaft? I guess if I put it on the skin may be a few drops around the vent and a few drops under each wing and maybe one drop in the back of the neck that will target most of the areas that they might be. Thank you again that's an awesome suggestion that's more natural. I did do my research on the seven dust and it does not look like good stuff which is horrible because now I have a pack of three bottles coming to my house and I don't know what to do with them now lol
It directly kills the mites. I found that putting it under the wings and around the vent on the back of the head wasn't enough. Putting directly on the mites in all the areas where they are on the birds works. The mites have always attacked this rooster badly, so it seems that I put more on him than what is recommended on that thread.

Since treating him and the roosts, I haven't seen many mites in their house.

Last edited:
I'd be careful over/constantly using any poultry dust or treatment, so you don't create resistance.
Treat when an infestation is present, and use more benign preventatives like wood ash to bathe in when the infestation has been knocked down.

I'd be careful over/constantly using any poultry dust or treatment, so you don't create resistance.
Treat when an infestation is present, and use more benign preventatives like wood ash to bathe in when the infestation has been knocked down.
Agree. Also, I've found that the best preventative is the natural way chickens are programmed to dust bathe. Even just the sandy soil without adding anything works. My rooster that I have to treat does not dust bathe very often, and when he does he doesn't do a good job of it.

Agree.  Also, I've found that the best preventative is the natural way chickens are programmed to dust bathe.  Even just the sandy soil without adding anything works.  My rooster that I have to treat does not dust bathe very often, and when he does he doesn't do a good job of it.  

Yes. I got the medicated permitherin to use for a few weeks to actively treat, neem oil to put on the roost bars and nesting boxes for prevention, I'm buying more chickens dusting powder at pet store and going tout add it to the nesting area. I will use the permitherin powder one time in the whole.run. their entire run is washed and strained River sand. I love River sand! Natural grit, good for their feet, and drains away rain great. I should have layered smell before shoveling in the sand a few weeks ago

And I just spent like 45 min picking up ALL the loose feathers from my molting hen. I coupdated find any mites know the coop even at night but I did find small brown ones on the loose feather shafts around the run! Good and gone now. I'll treat the area with permitherin powder when it gets here.

Man I hope after these next few weeks my flock gets back up to healthy. My one that has coccidosis still has mostly loose stool :/ she has been on albon for like 3 to 4 days now. I don't know what to do if in the next few days it doesn't clear up. I'll have to the her back to the vets. Lucky to have. Vet that sees birds and chickens!I already started probitoics and ACV in the water to help with healthy gut and fermenting right now. She is so.thin. I'll cry if.I loose my pita :(

Healthy chickens take care of external parasites themselves, the two times I have seen them get out of control was on a sick rooster and a broody hen. Get your birds healthy and the rest follows, so sorry about all your troubles, stuff always seems to come in groups and can get overwhelming and discouraging.

Healthy chickens take care of external parasites themselves, the two times I have seen them get out of control was on a sick rooster and a broody hen. Get your birds healthy and the rest follows, so sorry about all your troubles, stuff always seems to come in groups and can get overwhelming and discouraging.

Makes sense
it all started with bumblefoot and then coccidosis and now mites poor pita!

And I just spent like 45 min picking up ALL the loose feathers from my molting hen. I coupdated find any mites know the coop even at night but I did find small brown ones on the loose feather shafts around the run! Good and gone now. I'll treat the area with permitherin powder when it gets here.

Man I hope after these next few weeks my flock gets back up to healthy. My one that has coccidosis still has mostly loose stool
hmm.png
she has been on albon for like 3 to 4 days now. I don't know what to do if in the next few days it doesn't clear up. I'll have to the her back to the vets. Lucky to have. Vet that sees birds and chickens!I already started probitoics and ACV in the water to help with healthy gut and fermenting right now. She is so.thin. I'll cry if.I loose my pita
sad.png
You're treating cocci with albon?

Back
Top Bottom