Great remedy for hot birds

I use the tall lid from a plastic tote as a wading pool for them to use in hot weather. They use it, for sure. It is about four inches tall, maybe two feet long, eighteen inches wide... gets all muddy by the end of the day, but it is worth it knowing they have a place to cool off while I can't be there.

HI I have over 200 chickens and chicks all together. BYC has helped me alot in everyway. All my chickens get TLC watermenlow and I also make my own feed for them so they get the most of there feed. They have feed and water 247. I let them out earily in the morning so they can free range when it's cool in the morning and they come in around 8pm on there own. During the day I run water sprinkles on low all day until it's time to go to bed. The water sprinklers will make mud pools and cool the air by a few degrees in the shade. At night they all have 2 -3 fans in the coops. My babies get a water mister. Alot of my chickens have names, since I have so many I name them by groups LOL.
wee.gif
I love my
D.gif

OMG- dh read my post and said it soundedly like all 50 chickens were in the same 6x8 house!!! For those already turning purple, only my original six live there. I had to add additional structures as the flock (with roosters) grew larger. The original chickenhouse was built with drywall and insulation but being in full sun means it gets pretty hot and will stay hot even when the nights 'cool down' to 80. The additional houses had to be split off to build under shade but it helped alot. Everyone (new and 'old') gets shade during the day as well.

Back
Top Bottom