Great remedy for hot birds

No not at all just saying some with larger flocks can't really do that kind of time intensive coddling. there are a few folks on this forum though that do have quite large flocks, me being one and it's for from commercial. Here where I live 95 degrees is spring time weather LOL, today it was 102 and has been for a week now with no end in sight, LOL I wish I had 95 degree weather my birds would be in heaven.

I am in southern AZ too, we got a break compared to the rest of the country with the heat and humidity this week, but it's going up. My older girls are doing well, but the eggs cut down too, wonder what will happen with up and coming in a month or so? And I need to put out my 2 month olds, but where I have them the light has been off in the brooder as warm where they are in the house too trying to adjust them, they don't get the AC so hopefully they will do well as their growout cage is turned against the sun and almost all shade...I am liking the idea of the mud pits for the older flock as I do notice when rinsing their water bowl, they run to stand in the gook water I dumped out
smile.png

I have a freezer shelf full of frozen liter soda bottles that I switch out during the summer. They will lay around them and sometimes drape a wing over. At night I put two in the coop so they perch around them. Instant air conditioning. I like that you take such good care of your ladies. They are lucky to have you!

We have open an open air coop and its under shady trees. I have never lost a chicken to heat yet. They lay under the tree and dig little holes to lay in. If you want to help them out make sure your feed dosen't have corn in it, corn is a hot food and makes them warmer.

I have a freezer shelf like that too Pharmgirl!
lol.png
The other day I cut the top half of the soda bottle off and put the ice in their waterer. Of course if you fill the soda bottle mostly full of water, you'll have to break the ice in two. I used a brick. lol. Easier to just fill less than half way with water. I haven't used the bottles in the coop because of the way they sweat, but I think I will put some outside and see how the girls like it.

After reading the "commercial" chicken comment, I must agree it is inappropriate for the BYC site. The name says it all. We are primarily hobbiests with a passion for 'wacky' birds who live in everything from Chicken McMansions to recycled pallets. We are a support group for chickoholics, not a collective farm group who focus primarily on large production.

I have over fifty chickens, far to many to give names to but I am not immune to their individual personalities. Each one gets individualized care when needed. I have lost some to illnesses I knew nothing about, and others to predators I thought they were protected from. BYC forums have given me the knowledge and encouragement to overcome these tragedies. And yes, loss of life no matter how small, is a tragedy, particularly when it could have been avoided. BYC members have helped me tremendously, even though they never knew I was online. BYC is all about the generous sharing of knowledge, kindness, and support!

By the way, I have a large fan on a stand that connects to a garden hose (bought at Costco a few years back). The coop is only 6x8 and this may not work for larger one, but it has successfully cooled the birds. FYI, the area surrounding the door (I leave the door wide open) does get wet, but the end result is worth it. Aiming it at a ventilation window (open of course) is another option. Wind and water really works!

Alice, I also do all the above-the mud puddle, ice, and dipping the really hard panting ones. They don't even struggle!

As for those having 100's of chickens, I would like to hear some ideas from those members. Could help

these are some great ideas
smile.png
i like to spray down the outside pen. the water soaks into the dirt and the chickens can lie on it or take a dustbath to cool off. on super hot days i make it "rain" with the hose, cools them right off even if they get a little wet
smile.png

Right now I have 120 chickens in my main run and I make mud holes for them, thank you very much! I also keep a shaded wading pool in there for the ducks and geese and the chickens have learned to get in and cool their legs down when it gets too hot. I am also about to install a mister system on a timer under their shade awning. Some of my chickens (and all my ducks and geese) love to stand under the hose when I water, and even the ones that don't will make use of the cooler soil under there after the misters go off.

Back
Top Bottom