Great tip from my vet for giving chickens meds

You're a lot stronger than her. I promise.

Get an old towel and wrap her like a burrito. Secure with binder clips or clothes pins.
View attachment 3242596

Sit on the floor/ground/a chair, and place your chicken burrito in between your knees facing you, head up. Hold with your knees. With one hand, open mouth and secure upper beak. Hold on tight while she struggles. She will stop once she figures out you are in control. Then administer the meds.

I have tube feeding videos, but I think I need to make a med administering video.
Thank you!! I think clipping the towel will help too.

I know this thread is a few months old but ..how would you do that with liquid meds? Anyone else have tips to trick theirs into taking the liquid? I am really struggling to give liquid meds. I've watched the videos and I know to shove the syringe down their throats but that's not easy, hard to witness and rather traumatic for my pullet.
I use a small spoon, have someone else hold the chicken while I pinch the sides of its beak and when it opens I pour the spoon in. Have been doing it this way for decades. I crush antibiotics or other meds and put them into the spoon until they dissolve.

You're a lot stronger than her. I promise.

Get an old towel and wrap her like a burrito. Secure with binder clips or clothes pins.
View attachment 3242596

Sit on the floor/ground/a chair, and place your chicken burrito in between your knees facing you, head up. Hold with your knees. With one hand, open mouth and secure upper beak. Hold on tight while she struggles. She will stop once she figures out you are in control. Then administer the meds.

I have tube feeding videos, but I think I need to make a med administering video.
Thanks alot for this tip with wrapping lika a burrito! Had to give my chicken a tablet with antibiotics today after the vet did it yesterday, but when the vet showed me, she had an assistant to hold the chicken. My husband is away, so I have to do it on my own and this tip was great. I had her on the couch wrapped up on the side of me under my arm and held her beak with that arm, and then gave her medication and some water to swallow it down with my other hand. It worked very well.

Clipping the towel seems like a great idea! I've used the "burrito" method before, but not always successfully because the bird has wiggled out while I'm trying to give the meds. Thanks for a solution -- although I hope I don't need to try it out any time soon!

Back
Top Bottom