Green Cheek Conure Breeding?

serama hen

Songster
7 Years
Sep 9, 2012
Nothern New Jersey
I bought a proven pair of green cheek conures a few months back. They are about 2 years old and are a proven pair as i have been told. I set them up with a nest box with 2 inches of aspen bedding. One which i believe is the female is a yellow sided and the male is a cinnamon. The cinnamon one is mostly in the box and he shredded the tissue paper i put inside and he shredded some shavings as well he is in and out and he usually stays in there for long periods. Its almost February which is their natural breeding season were still in December. I also notice the male being more aggressive to the yellow sided one and the yellow sided one lies really flat on a perch and begins to call loudly when the male is around it also is very nippy compared to the cinnamon. I do believe i have a pair and they do seem to be bonded the male will attack the yellow-sided for no reason. They are on the middle floor where most household activities take place its not very quiet considering there is a energetic 3 year old. I also ordered nekton-e for them which i heard works very well in helping them breed. What am i missing and how could i know when i would be able to expect eggs? i am hoping a breeder would help me out due to the bird websites having little information on this breed of conures.

I have never bred conures, but I have bred plently of cockatiels and parakeets over the years. My first thought after reading your post is that they need to be moved to a quieter location. He will pick on her to get her to fly away from a perceived threat. Also, parrots need plenty of sleep at night - nice dark resting times. (My parrots can get rather grumpy without a decent nights' sleep - scary with amazons and macaws! lol).

Don't be too disappointed if they are not able to produce viable eggs/chicks the first year - they need to settle in and become comfortable - all that said, I've never had any miss a breeding season for moves, but if they are stressed they may not produce well.

What I recommend: 10-12 hours of darkness for sleep, a varied and nutritious diet, a quiet place to nest, and perhaps join a local bird club if you can find one in your area.

Best wishes!! (and post pictures - I love conures!)

(eta: keep some high quality handfeeding formula ready, just in case you need to help out or take over feeding for some reason - it's easier to have it and not need it than to go searching for it when an emergency arises)

Last edited:
I have never bred conures, but I have bred plently of cockatiels and parakeets over the years. My first thought after reading your post is that they need to be moved to a quieter location. He will pick on her to get her to fly away from a perceived threat. Also, parrots need plenty of sleep at night - nice dark resting times. (My parrots can get rather grumpy without a decent nights' sleep - scary with amazons and macaws! lol).

Don't be too disappointed if they are not able to produce viable eggs/chicks the first year - they need to settle in and become comfortable - all that said, I've never had any miss a breeding season for moves, but if they are stressed they may not produce well.

What I recommend: 10-12 hours of darkness for sleep, a varied and nutritious diet, a quiet place to nest, and perhaps join a local bird club if you can find one in your area.

Best wishes!! (and post pictures - I love conures!)

(eta: keep some high quality handfeeding formula ready, just in case you need to help out or take over feeding for some reason - it's easier to have it and not need it than to go searching for it when an emergency arises)
thankyou so much. i got nekton e a supplement that is supposed to help them in breeding which i hope it does. I will try to move them to some place quieter. I really hope they have babies i also know how to hand feed and i will hopefully buy a couple formula packs. yesterday i cleaned the cage entirely and i cleaned the nest box and added more bedding then before i cleaned everything so i woulndt disturb them while they were breeding. I kept everything the way it was so they dont feel like anything changed

Back
Top Bottom