Green poo, potential vomit and dislocated breast bone?!

Adoratail

Hatching
8 Years
Aug 16, 2011
Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum,
I've been keeping chickens for just over a year. One of my hens went broody, and was in a nest box with food, water, her eggs and nothing could get in. She came off her eggs after 2 weeks, and was walking funny. After closer inspection it feels like her breast bone has become dislocated from her back bone. There is also another bone that feels either broken or is sticking out of place. On the other side it feels like her bowels are very hard and firm. She has been passing green poo for 3 days now.
Recently her poo now has white bits in it, and there has been some runny brown liquid this evening which I'm not sure is vomit or not.
I am not sure how she has dislocated her bone, but I'm assuming that the green poo is down to a bacterial infection, due to her broody poo being in close confinement. I must mention she was kept fairly clean the whole time, and is on even stricter hygiene measurements now (treating it as if it was e-coli)
I've seperated her from the rest of the flock and put her in my bathroom. She is in a box on shaving and a heat mat. She is on 0.4ml of Batril once daily.
She is being fed on natural yoghurt with prebiotics, rolled oats, a little bit of honey, grated apple, cooked egg yolk, wheat, chopped garlic, echinedea (sp) and a few peas.
She also has a multivitamin tablet in her water.
She is okay in herself, as in she'll happily peck food from your hand, and enjoys a stroke. She is eating and drinking absolutely fine. She is showing the typical symptoms of an ill bird, puffed up feathers, very quiet, hunched, but she is not wheezy, sneezy or have runny eyes.
What else can I be doing?
I'm in a really difficult situation, I want to save this bird obviously but realistically will her bones recover? I read somewhere that green poo indicates that the bird is past saving. If she cannot be fixed then I'll put her down, but has anyone had experience in this area? or know if an operation is likely to be successful?
Thanks in advance,

Mia

I am sorry your hen is ill. I don't know what could have happened to your girl but I hope someone here can help you. I am new at keeping chickens myself and sorry I can't give any advice. I hope your hen can recover. So sorry.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom