Green Tomato Soup Recipe

slf_fry

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 24, 2009
Loveland,Ohio
Hey All, I'm the cook in a small coffee shop/cafe and I get to test all of my recipes on the public utilizing veggies from my garden and the cafe's garden. This time of the year I'm selling green tomato soup by the gallons and thought I would share, for those of you with a few lbs. left after canning. Since my husband does not eat anything that grows:rolleyes: it is so much fun being able to cook for the people in my small town. I hope you enjoy. It is pretty simple.

Green Tomato Soup

1 tbs. olive oil
4 ozs. bacon or ham (or both) chopped
1 large diced onion
1-2 cloves garlic
2 bay leaves
3-4 lbs chopped green tomatoes
chicken broth (I use bouilon cubes) to cover
salt & pepper to taste
sour cream - optional - as garnish

Saute bacon/ham until crisp then add onion and cook until soft. Add remaining ingredients and cover 3/4 with broth. This will cook down. Bring to a boil and then simmer and hour or so. The longer the better. Add sour cream if you wish to tame the sour taste. ENJOY

It is addicting! Yes, these are the hard green tomatoes. Now that it is getting cool none of the tomatoes here are ripening! I even use all the small ones. Hate to waste anything. Just be sure to cut into a small dice or you will have curled peices of the skin curled in your soup. That's not a problems for me but I have finicky customers! WHen I make it at home I add more garlic. Next time I make it at home I'm going to add some hot peppers from my garden to spice it up.

!!!!!!
I was just eyeballing all the green tomatoes on my plants and wondering what to do with them...
Now I know
big_smile.png

And I love sour-tasting stuff so the sour cream will just be "cream on top" for me
wink.png

Does your soup freeze ok?

I have never had any left to freeze! I don't see that there would be any problems. I freeze gallons of soup for the restaurant before I leave on an extended trip and the only problem I have is with potatoes getting mealy.

Quote:
LOL yup, its getting cold already!
sad.png

Thanks for the recipe though! I'll use it next summer..
smile.png

I'm going to try that for dinner tomorrow thanks for sharing!
I found a recipe today for green tomato pickles . . . I may put up a few jars of those this week if I find the time. I'll share the recipe if anyone is interested.

Quote:
I would love to have the pickle recipe. I canned 8 jars of a spicy (hot peppers) green tomato pickle which recommended to let sit for a month. Of course I had to break into a jar after a week and I was not impressed. My mom used to make a great green pickle relish (sliced not diced) when I was a kid and it was great with pot roast. I'll have to dig that one up. I love the taste of the green tomatoes.

Back
Top Bottom