Greener Pasture's Farm Chick Starter Recipe #3

LauraN

In the Brooder
11 Years
Dec 16, 2008
SW Houston
Has anyone used this recipe for chick starter?

2 parts whole corn, ground
3 or 4 parts whole wheat
1 part barley
1 part oat groats
1 part shelled sunflower seeds
1/2 part lentils
1/2 part split green peas
1 part millet
1/4 part flax seeds
1/2 part seaweed

Ronda from Greener Pastures also gives them garlic, ACV, milk, worms and scrambled eggs. Any opinions?

Thanks,
Laura

What is the Vitamin A or beta carotene source? Is the seaweed enough? I'm not familiar with the nutrient levels in it and I think it probably varies by type.

Last edited:
I used it last year, with good results. It is meant for chicks that have access to pasture. Mine weren't on pasture at first, so I also gave them clumps of sod and greens when they were old enough. They grew just fine.

Thanks everyone! I've looked into the Vitamin A and I'm still not sure. One source said seaweed has it but didn't say how much. I'm glad atleast one person used the recipe with success. My chickens will be in a tractor/ark and I think I'll have a redworm bin going. I wish I could just go to the feed store and buy whatever they sell. It'd be so much easier but I'm not that way about ANYTHING!

Yes, ACV=Apple Cider Vinegar

Naturemom said it was developed to be used with chickens on pasture. Eating green pasture plants would provide some beta carotene, the precursor to vitamin A.

would these ingredients be ground? I did not think they would be able to eat it as is. I mix my own chicken feed and would like to do the same for my chicks when I get them.

Back
Top Bottom