Greenfire Farms

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would never buy from GFF again. I made a large (for me) purchase - over $1000 for some chicks from 3 different breeds. I paid extra for same day air shipment so that the chicks had the best chance of doing well. The female Rhodebar chicks that I paid $99 each for turned out not to be pure Rhodebars. They also included a bunch of extra cockerels in the box. I had paid for two cockerels for each breed and after they sent all the extras, I was faced with having to get rid of them - which at the time was quite a hardship. Lots of extra cockerels but not a single extra pullet. Then, they didn't include one of the breeds I ordered. After I got the chicks and realized that breed was missing, I emailed and asked about it - and only then did they inform me that they didn't have that breed available after all and offered a refund for those chicks. I had to ask first, though. A few months after I got the chicks, when I discovered that my Rhodebars were not purebred (they laid green and olive eggs instead of brown), GFF refused to do anything about it - no refund, no replacements, no apology. They insisted the Rhodebars were purebred - which obviously wasn't the case. I eventually got rid of the roos and added the hens to my layer flock. I couldn't in good conscience sell chicks and hatching eggs from stock that I knew wasn't purebred. I'm not a fighter and hate conflict, so I finally had to just chalk it up to a lesson learned the hard way. It still ticks me off to think of how they treated me.

I've heard of people who had great experience with GFF, and that's why I finally decided to spend the money on the rare breeds. My experience, though, was poor communication and customer service, and absolutely no guarantee of breed purity. Buyer beware.

The arnt bad birds my mom got eggs to hatch from there lines and there beautiful birds.:)

Grab your standard, or ask an APA judge to take a look for you. You'll likely be surprised. Of course that only applies to breeds that are actually recognized. Not any of that other weird stuff.

Now that I think about it that was a different breeder. We spent a lot of money on eggs. Got 3 dozen cause we were told they had good birds and only one chick hatched. ONLY 1 then like 2 days after it died. We called and he said we did the incubating rite but every other egg in that incubator hatched. Just not from him :barnie Barbie big mistake on his part he's loosing a lot of customers.

Last edited:
Over priced. Poor quality fowl for those that are recognized, and a bunch of non-recognized "breeds". All sorts of red flags there, avoid and get good breeds from a local source in my opinion.

Couldn't agree more.

I have had well over 10 shipments from GFF- anytime I have had sick birds it has not been "sick" birds but chicks that were neglected due to the USPS- left in the cold, 2 days or longer in transit, etc... anytime I have ever had any die GFF has graciously sent replacements and have always been very generous. They do have breeds that are not in the SOP because they are trying to introduce rare and endangered lines to the US. As far as the Rhodebars that layed green/blue eggs... wonder if you got legbars? They are very similar and very difficult to tell apart as chicks and typically as adults. I have had one wrong order and it was certainly in my favor. Instead of barnevelders I received Blue Columbian Brahmas and then then next week they shipped the Barnevelders and so I ended up with Blue columbian Brahmas that I didn't order nor did I have to pay for. I get lots of extras on my shipments and they are usually "packing peanuts" to ensure safety of everyone so I don't really care if they are roosters or hens. If you don't like roosters or don't want any extras I am sure someone would pay you at least $5 a piece if you don't want to use them as meat birds. They may seem overpriced but these guys travel across the world looking for new and unusual breeds of chickens and then they spend time to import them and pay a ton to have them imported to the us and in storage until they are cleared and deemed safe to enter the US. Their prices are not bad for what you are getting.

I went to their site and was floored by the prices. Jaw dropping spendy. I thought maybe the prices were for 6 or more but found they were for singles. $49 at a minimum for a day old chick.

What is their customer profile?

They usually have some $19 chicks but you can only imagine the expense of importing and breeding these birds for sale and still trying to make a profit. We sell chicks from $4 to $60 each and still don't make a profit.

I ordered some Rhodebars (auction) from GFF and the USPS held on to them for TWO DAYS! before sending them out! It was investigated and confirmed it was the fault of USPS. Every single one was dead by the time they got here 3 DAYS later. Over a dozen in all. GFF was very kind and helpful and was very prompt in handling it. Not only did we have great communication in timely manner but they sent me very quickly another 20 to replace them. FREE!! Every one arrived alive and healthy and at 3 months old now they are all growing beautiful and healthy. I am very pleased with them and would do business with them again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom