Greenish spots on my chicken's leg

lemongrass1000

In the Brooder
Nov 10, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Hi. My chicken has about two greenish spots on her legs. I noticed one spot a couple of days after I got her (she was only 3 weeks old then) and I thought it was a birth mark. Then today I found another spot on the other leg and this made me worried. I did some search and one of the article in this forum said it could be a common pigment. Has anyone experienced a similar spots with their chickens?

Attachments

• Spot on leg.jpg
    Spot on leg.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 56
hello @lemongrass1000 - welcome to BYC :frow

what breed is this chicken?
It's quite common for Swedish Flower Hens to have mottled/spotty legs, and I'd guess it's true for some other breeds too. Are there any other reasons for you to worry about this bird? Is its feeding/behaviour normal?

Thank you. It is a hybrid leghorn. She is fine. She is a scary cat, but at the same time adventurous. I initially noticed one spot when she was 3 weeks old and yesterday I found another one, at 8 weeks old, and this got me worried. Thank you so much and I feel much better.

it's all very nerve-wracking when we start out on our chicken adventures; glad I could help allay some of your worries. :)

I've found that, generally, if a bird is eating, pooing and behaving normally, it's fine. But they are very good at hiding problems too (to avoid drawing predators' attention to themselves), and I've come to recognize the rest of the flock turning on one of their number as the most reliable guide to a real problem; if they turn on her, separate her quickly and give her a thorough examination.

Back
Top Bottom