Greens for Chickens

I Love Lucy

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 26, 2012
What's a good leafy green to grow in the garden during the Spring/Summer for chickens to eat?

My chickens stay in a pen, and I can't free range them daily. Collards are gone now, so I need some ideas for what to plant, as I'll be planting my garden soon.

If not a leafy green, then what?

Thanks!!

oh man, anything. If they're spoiled they get snooty, but when I forget to provide fresh greenstuff for my birds for a little, they'll eat just about anything as long as it is not tenuous and woody like tree trimmings. I threw in some artichoke palms (the big leaves of the plant) the other day and they were devoured. Path of least resistance? Provide water and sunshine and let whatever weeds that are there already grow fresh and green. Chickens love oxalis and any sort of grass which is what grows rampantly in my yard.

If you really want to put the work into planting something, collards, kale, mustard, bok choy, all of the above. Maybe what would be best is fast growing vegetable with an easily germinating seed that you can direct seed into your veggie beds rather than transplant, for instance radish, or salad mix.

-todd

I feed them greens all winter from my gardens. Now that spring has sprung they get their fill of greens growing naturally. I don't worry about feeding greens now because everything's green. Its veggie time now. My gardens are planted for spring cucumbers, tomatoes, squash, watermelon, cantaloupe. They love it. Its great because I can freeze or refrigerate these items which helps my birds through our long hot summers.They love the cherry tomatoes. Also, the bugs are back & I see the girls chasing bugs already.

Sounds good. I plant cucumbers, squash, tomatoes, watermelon, and cantaloupe every Spring, so I guess I'm covered.

I'll plant extra kale and collards this year, their favorites. They don't like spinach so I will only plant enough for me. I love the lettuce mixes and so do they so I guess they will have to fight me for them, I already know they'll win!

Back
Top Bottom