Greetings from Md--Newbie

scoteroni

Hatching
11 Years
Jan 8, 2009
Hi All,

What a wonderful place here on the 'net. Our family is just getting into this, and I'm so glad to have found BYC. We've got four kids on about 4 acres in Maryland. I'm a work at home lawyer type so I believe I'll have the time to devote to a decent flock at some point.

Boy, do we have questions! Our hope is to have about 12 chickens, mainly as layers. My wife wants to make sure the chickens are a gentle and friendly breed, and I would prefer a non-flying breed. (Please forgive me if I don't know any of the chicken lingo yet--hope I'm doing OK so far).

Does anyone have any suggestions for a breed that would do that?

Oh, one other thing. I've been reading chicken books and seeing some really beautiful roosters--very striking color combinations with gold or rust neck hackles. Does anyone have a personal breed favorite for a really nice looking, LOUD (yes, we like loud crowing!) bird that would not be too aggressive? Do those qualities all come together in one bird?

Like I said, lots and lots of questions.

Thanks for this great site!

Steve

Welcome aboard!
welcome-byc.gif

yippiechickie.gif

welcome-byc.gif

My buff orpingtons are good layers, gentle and fly like rocks. Our buff orpington rooster is very docile but he likes to crow alot.

Hello Steve:

I am in Glenn Dale, MD. Are you near by?

I know you have lots of questions, I still do. I have had hens for a year and a half now and learn something new all the time, especially on BYC. My advice for getting started is:

1) to read this site. You will learn soooooo much.

2) to have your henhouse BUILT before you order/buy your chicks. So many things can go wrong with a building project.

3) to be ready to fall in love with your chickens.

As for breeds, I have 3 australorps and 1 each of production red, white and barred Plymouth rock, silver and gold laced wyandote, and buff orpington. I enjoy them all. The only one with a poor disposition is one of the australorps, Sweetums. She is on the bottom of the pecking order and I would always be in a bad mood if everyone pecked me on the head all the time.
hmm.png

My australorps do not fly but my others have no trouble getting over a 6' fence. Anyway, read the suggestions on this discussion board and jump in. You will probably be happy with whatever you get.

Welcome to Chickendom.

Hey steve I am a fellow MDer her in Towson MD I have 15 hens and two cockerals (need to be rehomed). My breed choice for you would be Salmon Faverolle or Marans both are very docile beautiful chickens with large very calm but loud roosters. My flock has been great in our suburban neighborhood and everyone loves the fresh eggs although they aren't laying to well right now
sad.png
If you have any questions or are near by and want to visit don't hesitate to ask. By the way I am only 16 but have brought chickens to my suburban neighborhood. We only have a 2 acre plot though. WELCOME !!!!!!!!

Hi Steve,
I'm in Baltimore. I'm new to this chicken business, too, so my opinions are not worth too much yet. My girls are about 24 weeks and the RIR and Red Star have begun to lay, but the beautiful and sweet Golden Laced Wyandotte has not. The Red Star's eggs have been large and coming almost every day since she started a month ago. But I love all these girls; they're totally awesome and really funny. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom