Gallyandrews

In the Brooder
May 2, 2022
Hi all. I’m looking for some advice regarding treatment of my ducks foot. After a trip to the vet and an x-ray, I was told that her bone has crumbled and she has arthritis. There is nothing more that they can do for her except give her an anti-inflammatory painkiller (which doesn’t really seem to help much at all) I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and really hoping that there’s something that I can do for her to help ease her discomfort. I’m currently soaking her foot once a day in a warm bath with Epsom salts. Any tips on natural remedies..? Essential oils? Is Castor Oil safe for ducks (topically)? Many thank in advance for any advice. X

Poor girl sounds painful. I gave my Muscovy duck Cosequin with MSM for close to 2 yrs before he passed this past March he was going on 13 and had injured his leg fighting with my gander he limped after but with the Cosequin his limp disappeared, a friends avian vet rec for her Pekin who has arthritis might be worth trying he did say it has to have MSM in it.

Thanks for the reply Miss Lydia. I would like to try this. I assume that I would d purchase the Cosequin for dogs..? What does age is recommend? I’ve had a quick google but nothing is coming up. Many thanks 🙏

This one she sent me is for horses but I can't see it would matter.
I used little less half tablespoon for my drake he weighed 15 lbs. I started with a teaspoon and worked up. If you have a vet you trust you could ask.
My friend said the vet prescribed 1 Teaspoon per 10lbs.

Last edited:
This one she sent me is for horses but I can't see it would matter.
I used little less half tablespoon for my drake he weighed 15 lbs. I started with a teaspoon and worked up. If you have a vet you trust you could ask.
My friend said the vet prescribed 1 Teaspoon per 10lbs.
Thank you. I will give it a try 🙏

Back
Top Bottom