Greetings from NE Ohio!

TheFrogLady

Songster
Apr 18, 2020
Northeast Ohio
Hello everyone, and thanks for all the great info! I've been lurking for a few days since my husband and I decided we'd take the plunge and get some chickens. We have about an acre in the country just east of Cleveland. I'm brand new to this, but your forum has been amazingly informative. I've already learned a ton.

We're picking up 4 chicks on June 1 from Meyer Hatchery. We've bought an Eglu cube to start, with a 9 foot run. My husband's going to make a permanent walk-in run, too, and probably a larger coop next year. We're getting a mixed flock, all hens: a Dominique, a Buckeye (naturally!), a Golden-Laced Wyandotte, and a White Rock. All four are supposed to be good in cold weather, which is important for us because we get a lot of snow. They'll spend most of their time in the run, but we plan to do some supervised free-ranging around the yard, too. Chicken field trips!

I'm also an avid veggie gardener, growing heirloom tomatoes, garlic, and hot peppers. We've been keeping a garden for almost 12 years now, starting all of our plants from seed. I have WAY too many pepper and tomato plants in my basement right now! I do a lot with perennials, roses, and other flowers, too. I'm really looking forward to putting that nice chicken compost in my garden! I also enjoy cooking and baking. I bake most of the bread for our family and do a lot of fermentation and cooking from scratch.

Anyway, nice to meet you all, and thanks again for all the wonderful info. I feel very comfortable venturing into this new hobby with the resources available here. I really appreciate everyone's time and kindness in sharing your experience and knowledge.

Take care, and stay healthy and safe!

Welcome to BYC. I love FROGS.

My favorite part about moving out to the country was opening the windows at night and listening to the frogs. We inherited a koi pond, without koi but with dozens of green frogs. They serenade us all summer long. Lots of spring peepers and wonderful toads, too.

Thanks, everyone, for the warm welcome!

Back
Top Bottom