Greetings, new to BYC

muslw4

Songster
8 Years
May 7, 2011
Northern Illinois
Hello, My name is Stephanie and I'm new to the forum. I just got two silkie chicks a couple of weeks ago and now I have been bitten by the bug! I figure as long as i have to turn part of my garden shed into a chicken house, I might as well get more chickens, right? So, i've placed an order for new chicks due to be delivered the week of June 27th. I'm so excited! I was raised and currently live on a farm in Northern IL. My parents have chickens, so I'm not totally a novice, but have never owned them myself. I raise, boar goats, and english shepherd dogs. I also, have two paint horses and 6 rabbits. My parents live next door, on the same farm, and my parents have many animals too. So you could say I also have sheep, call ducks, a couple of geese and guinea hens, some steers, all together 9 horses, 2 mini mules, cats, a couple of pigs....I guess that's about it.

I do have a question about roosters. My parents had a rooster that was very mean. Attacked every time someone enterd the chicken house. WOuld actually draw blood at times. I don't know what breed it was. The rooster my mom has now is an Americana and is very sweet. I think one of my silkie chicks is a rooster, and the the new chicks I ordered I requested hens. I wouldn't mind haveing a rooster, I think they are so handsome and I like to hear them crow. Would another and/or what breed of rooster get along with a silkie rooster? I ordered different breeds of hens. I would like to have a rooster to match one of the hens. I was thinking of a buff orpington, welsummer, standard cochin, or black austrolope. Are these breeds non aggressive?

thanks for any and all suggestions.

frow.gif
and
welcome-byc.gif
from Ohio. So glad you joined. My DD had a golden laced wyandotte roo that was mean to everyone but her. We now have a bantam barred roo and he is the sweetish thing. I can't help with the other breeds.
thumbsup.gif

frow.gif
and
welcome-byc.gif
from SW Ohio.
If you get them and raise them all together they ususally get along fine but ya jsut never know!

welcome-byc.gif
from another Illinoisan. I have BR roo that is the sweetest rooster ever. He is very good with his girls. I have 2 BA hens that are sweet. The closest I have come to a BA roo is a little cockrel that I rehomed when he was small.

Hi, Stephanie! Welcome to the best forum in the world!
big_smile.png
(and no, I don't get paid to say that!) So glad you decided to join us! We share the good and the bad, our experiments (as in what works, what doesn't work, and what can be modified to fit our own situation), and sometimes just share life! There are lots of friendly, good-natured folks on here who like to tease & joke, and others of a more serious, insightful nature, and those who fall somewhere in between. I'm sure you'll fit in just fine! Pull up a comfy chair and let's get started on a brand new cyberfriendship!
caf.gif

frow.gif
&
welcome-byc.gif
from Alabama. Congrats on your chicks
thumbsup.gif
Silkies are great aren't they? We have 6 & they're the sweetest things. I don't know about any of the other breeds, but we do have some Buff Orpingtons & they are very easygoing birds. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom