Greetings, new to BYC

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by muslw4, May 7, 2011.

1. muslw4

muslw4 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    Northern Illinois
    Hello, My name is Stephanie and I'm new to the forum. I just got two silkie chicks a couple of weeks ago and now I have been bitten by the bug! I figure as long as i have to turn part of my garden shed into a chicken house, I might as well get more chickens, right? So, i've placed an order for new chicks due to be delivered the week of June 27th. I'm so excited! I was raised and currently live on a farm in Northern IL. My parents have chickens, so I'm not totally a novice, but have never owned them myself. I raise, boar goats, and english shepherd dogs. I also, have two paint horses and 6 rabbits. My parents live next door, on the same farm, and my parents have many animals too. So you could say I also have sheep, call ducks, a couple of geese and guinea hens, some steers, all together 9 horses, 2 mini mules, cats, a couple of pigs....I guess that's about it.

I do have a question about roosters. My parents had a rooster that was very mean. Attacked every time someone enterd the chicken house. WOuld actually draw blood at times. I don't know what breed it was. The rooster my mom has now is an Americana and is very sweet. I think one of my silkie chicks is a rooster, and the the new chicks I ordered I requested hens. I wouldn't mind haveing a rooster, I think they are so handsome and I like to hear them crow. Would another and/or what breed of rooster get along with a silkie rooster? I ordered different breeds of hens. I would like to have a rooster to match one of the hens. I was thinking of a buff orpington, welsummer, standard cochin, or black austrolope. Are these breeds non aggressive?

thanks for any and all suggestions.

2. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. My DD had a golden laced wyandotte roo that was mean to everyone but her. We now have a bantam barred roo and he is the sweetish thing. I can't help with the other breeds. [​IMG]

3. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    [​IMG]
    It just depends on the roo, some are sweet and some are only good for the crockpot. [​IMG]

4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG] Glad you are here!

5. jen5680

jen5680 Southside Silkie Shack

Jun 18, 2009
    SW Ohio
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from SW Ohio.
    If you get them and raise them all together they ususally get along fine but ya jsut never know!

6. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    [​IMG] from another Illinoisan. I have BR roo that is the sweetest rooster ever. He is very good with his girls. I have 2 BA hens that are sweet. The closest I have come to a BA roo is a little cockrel that I rehomed when he was small.

7. MSDeb

MSDeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC, glad you decided to join us. Good luck with your birds.

8. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

Hi, Stephanie! Welcome to the best forum in the world! [​IMG] (and no, I don't get paid to say that!) So glad you decided to join us! We share the good and the bad, our experiments (as in what works, what doesn't work, and what can be modified to fit our own situation), and sometimes just share life! There are lots of friendly, good-natured folks on here who like to tease & joke, and others of a more serious, insightful nature, and those who fall somewhere in between. I'm sure you'll fit in just fine! Pull up a comfy chair and let's get started on a brand new cyberfriendship! [​IMG]

9. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Congrats on your chicks [​IMG] Silkies are great aren't they? We have 6 & they're the sweetest things. I don't know about any of the other breeds, but we do have some Buff Orpingtons & they are very easygoing birds. Good luck

10. white01

white01 Brady Brook Poultry

May 11, 2010
    West Enfield,Maine
    [​IMG] [​IMG] from Maine

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by