Grey chick unknown breed from our co-op

we wonder what the grey bird breed is

That color is usually called "blue" in chickens, even though it really is a shade of grey.

Does she have fluffy cheeks? It kind of looks like she doesn't, so then EE is unlikely.
Some Easter Eggers (EE) have fluffy cheeks, some don't.

It will probably become clear when she starts laying eggs!

Blue or green eggs would mean she's an Easter Egger.

If she lays brown eggs, she might be one of the blue-feathered hybrids that have been showing up lately-- they get labeled Blue Sexlinks, Blue Plymouth Rocks, Sapphire Gems, and similar names.

If she lays white eggs, then maybe Blue Andalusian. (White earlobes would also indicate Andalusian, even before she starts laying eggs. The brown-egg and blue-egg breeds mostly have red earlobes.)

When we got the old layers I got the comets and my wife wanted some americanas. We have lost 2 of the 3 but we still have one. We hatched out chicks last year Comets and comet/ americana. We had 3 birds we hoped to be pullets but they are roosters.

When we got the old layers I got the comets and my wife wanted some americanas. We have lost 2 of the 3 but we still have one. We hatched out chicks last year Comets and comet/ americana. We had 3 birds we hoped to be pullets but they are roosters.
I'm assuming they are EE? (Americana is actually spelled Ameraucana, and Americanas are actually EE. @EmmaRainboe has a great article on it)

They are EE then my bad spelling got me again. The Ameraucana are good looking birds with all the different colors and the temperament is more mellow than the comets.
I'll check out the article.

Back
Top Bottom