Grid Over Coop Floor

Hokum Coco

Crowing
9 Years
Dec 6, 2012
New Brunswick,Canada
I have a gird over the floor of my 4x8 metal coop instead of deep litter. It is comprised of the discarded sides of a baby's crib and a heavy piece of wire mesh with 2 inch squares. I find it keeps the feet of my chickens much cleaner and my eggs also less soiled. It also gives me a pure supply of chicken manure for my vegetable garden.
With a tarp under the grid clean up is as quick as replacing the tarp with a fresh one and emptying the soiled tarp into the compost bin.
Maybe going over the tarp with a scraper once it has a chance to bake and dry in the sun. Finally spray the tarp with a garden hose before you fold it up to do a latter exchange.

Easy Peasy Japaneasy

Buck Aug 11.JPG

Last edited:
Is that Rudolph in the foreground??? Cant see his nose, because he is munching on those greens. Are you secretly fattening up the deer for Santa? Further north there is very little to eat besides white snow. :lau

Nice running into you again.
288.jpg
This coming spring I intend to get some more white homers. I got 3 beauties a while ago, 2 hens and 1 cock,and lost them to predator next day.:hit

Grid Floor.jpg
Baby crib sides.jpg

This is the best I can do for now the batteries are dead in my camera wouldn't you know.

I have one middle section similar to the above pictured grid the (pencil size wire in the grid supports 200lbs). Plus I have two baby crib sides that cover the remaining floor of my coop. They are elevated on 4"x4" square blocks where needed to form a drop pit over my total floor area.

Last edited:
That is a great idea for pigeons. Keeps everything much cleaner... and I think the most important thing is it stops the pigeons eating grain and feed that they have thrown out of the feeder onto the floor.. which can get covered in poop and make the birds sick if they eat dirty food.

Also helps prevent worm infestation for the same reason!

This is the best I can do for now the batteries are dead in my camera wouldn't you know.

I have one middle section similar to the above pictured grid the (pencil size wire in the grid supports 200lbs). Plus I have two baby crib sides that cover the remaining floor of my coop. They are elevated on 4"x4" square blocks where needed to form a drop pit over my total floor area.
I imagine that these are not where you walk in the coop?
We can wait for your batteries to charge ;)

I imagine that these are not where you walk in the coop?
Grid Floor.jpg
Yes the pencil sized grid is only employed where I need stand (my grid is not exactly as shown). This post was only directed to people with imagination on the site. This sort of method would have to be customized for each coop and would not be practical for every application. A 200lb person would make short order of the crib sides.

Last edited:
Yes the pencil sized grid is only employed where I need stand. Nice to see people with imagination on the site. This sort of method would have to be customized for each coop and would not be practical for every application. A 200lb person would make short order of the crib sides.
~2-4" squares?
I didn't notice that the many 'feet' were evenly spaced under the whole thing.

Back
Top Bottom