Grieving Indian Runner?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by beerausch, Dec 3, 2016.

1. beerausch

beerausch Just Hatched

Dec 3, 2016
    Indiana
    Hi my name is Bee. I had 4 ducks but my Duck Ducky was run over by a car. I was devastated she or her sister had just started laying. We walked with them every night sang them to sleep. Basically we are next level with our ducks. As soon as Ducky died we built a large pin for the ducks to be safe in. This happened about 2 months ago. Daisy her matching Indian Runner has not laid an egg yet. Is she grieving? Is it because of the weather, is it because she is in a pin now instead of free range? She almost seems like she wants to be alone. She eats fine and plays fine. I have them on a solid game bird feed. This is my first time having ducks or chickens. Please help. [​IMG]

2. beerausch

beerausch Just Hatched

Dec 3, 2016
    Indiana
    I should add that we brought 2 new older khaki Campbell ducks too

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

1 person likes this.
  4. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there, and welcome to Backyard Chickens! I am so glad you joined us, I do hope you will make yourself at home here. Enjoy BYC!

1 person likes this.
  5. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    Hi and [​IMG] I am glad you joined us! But I am very sorry about your duck! [​IMG] Yes, she might be grieving.
    I don't know much about ducks, but when one my hens loses her "best friend" (another member in the flock) they are usually depressed in a way for a little while. I wouldn't let her out of the pin, you don't want to risk losing another bird. I hope you enjoy BYC, best wishes! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under beerausch [​IMG] Welcome!

I am so sorry for your loss. I do not have any experience with ducks but agree with RodNTN that she could be grieving and I too have had chickens show signs of grief/separation anxiety.

I hope you enjoy BYC; not only is it overflowing with lots of useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures about chickens, turkeys, duck, quail, Peas and pretty much any other feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. beerausch

beerausch Just Hatched

Dec 3, 2016
    Indiana
    Thank you so much for the support glad to be here!

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    So sorry for your loss. You may do best posting on the "duck thread," just put in search box and it will come up. They would be best able to suggest how to introduce new ducks to her and when.

1 person likes this.
  9. beerausch

beerausch Just Hatched

Dec 3, 2016
    Indiana
    Thanks I'll find it[​IMG]

10. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by