Grieving Indian Runner?

beerausch

In the Brooder
Dec 3, 2016
Indiana
Hi my name is Bee. I had 4 ducks but my Duck Ducky was run over by a car. I was devastated she or her sister had just started laying. We walked with them every night sang them to sleep. Basically we are next level with our ducks. As soon as Ducky died we built a large pin for the ducks to be safe in. This happened about 2 months ago. Daisy her matching Indian Runner has not laid an egg yet. Is she grieving? Is it because of the weather, is it because she is in a pin now instead of free range? She almost seems like she wants to be alone. She eats fine and plays fine. I have them on a solid game bird feed. This is my first time having ducks or chickens. Please help.

Hi and
welcome-byc.gif
I am glad you joined us! But I am very sorry about your duck!
hugs.gif
Yes, she might be grieving.
I don't know much about ducks, but when one my hens loses her "best friend" (another member in the flock) they are usually depressed in a way for a little while. I wouldn't let her out of the pin, you don't want to risk losing another bird. I hope you enjoy BYC, best wishes!
smile.png

G’Day from down under beerausch
frow.gif
Welcome!

I am so sorry for your loss. I do not have any experience with ducks but agree with RodNTN that she could be grieving and I too have had chickens show signs of grief/separation anxiety.

I hope you enjoy BYC; not only is it overflowing with lots of useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures about chickens, turkeys, duck, quail, Peas and pretty much any other feathered and non feathered friends
wink.png

So sorry for your loss. You may do best posting on the "duck thread," just put in search box and it will come up. They would be best able to suggest how to introduce new ducks to her and when.

Back
Top Bottom