Grinding questionn

If you grind, you can do that right away. There won't be any long muscle fibers to contract up, once ground.

Otherwise, cook as advised above. Or use a pressure cooker, then cut into cubes and make soup.

I've been hatching a few eggs every year to replenish my laying hens, and we eat the roosters. However, I just can't get used to the tough, stringy texture, so this time I'm going to try grinding the meat. My question is whether I need to let the meat rest for a few days still before grinding, or if I can just do the whole process tomorrow.

Thanks!
Where in Ontario are you located?

Cut birds in half when butchering then to fridge,
Do you cut lengthwise to split the bone in breasts?
If so, how exactly?
I used to be able to do this with grocery birds and large(12") sharp chef knife.
Either I'm getting weak(can't pound on knife with hands anymore) or have lost some savvy.
Maybe I need a cleaver.

If so, how exactly?
I used to be able to do this with grocery birds and large(12") sharp chef knife.
Either I'm getting weak(can't pound on knife with hands anymore) or have lost some savvy.
Maybe I need a cleaver.
Same, I can't seem to split the breast on my homegrown birds for nothin', it boggles my mind.

It's easier on the younger birds. I can cut the breast bone on older birds with poultry shears but some take some work. It's easier too when you remove the wishbone section first.

Use a stout knife. The last thing you want is for it to bend. It does take effort and a cleaver would certainly be easier. I poke tip into breast bone and pivot down to spit it. Same motion for side of backbone. Don't attempt to cut back bone, ribs to side of it.

Use a stout knife. The last thing you want is for it to bend. It does take effort and a cleaver would certainly be easier. I poke tip into breast bone and pivot down to spit it. Same motion for side of backbone. Don't attempt to cut back bone, ribs to side of it.
A 12" chef knife is plenty stout....might just be afraid to push too hard as it's rather unstable. Back is easy to halve crosswise between vertebrae.

It's easier on the younger birds. I can cut the breast bone on older birds with poultry shears but some take some work. It's easier too when you remove the wishbone section first.
Yes, have done this, but still have had trouble cutting thru along keel line. Might try poultry shears(I use bypass pruners as poultry shears, much tougher)

Same, I can't seem to split the breast on my homegrown birds for nothin', it boggles my mind.
IKR?!? Am tempted to buy a grocery bird just to see if it's me or the birds. :D

If so, how exactly?
Maybe I need a cleaver.

We spatchcock all our smaller birds. First we cut out the back bone with poultry shears. Then remove the wishbone and make a cut into the cartilage at the front of breastbone. Then flip the bird over, pulling cut sides out and press the center down until it's flat. At that point you can run your finger along each side of the breastbone parting the meat from the bone and pop the breastbone out. Then you can easily halve or leave whole.

Back
Top Bottom