Grit and outside

Iluveggers

Crossing the Road
Jun 27, 2021
NYS
Hello! My chicks are 4-6 days old. I am bringing them outside for a few minutes a day, and when I do they are pecking things in the grass. The chick grit I have says 2 weeks old. Do they need it if they are outside and might be eating dirt or grass, or should I wait til 2 weeks? They are inside 23 hours a day and only get chick starter/grower and water. No treats at all. Thank you!

I think that would depend a lot on your soil in the area you put them into. Does it have appropriate particles of the correct size rocks?

Supplying grit can't hurt since they know what food is by now -- it would be extra insurance. The hard part is finding grit in small quantities.

I sprinkled pinches of sand next to my chick feeders from day one because the first thing the Ideal Dozen did in my outdoor brooder after I'd unpacked them and dipped their beaks in the water was snap up some of the bugs that had died on the heat lamp the night before. Likewise with the previous year's chicks that I brought home from the farm store -- they sampled the feed and then started pecking ants off the coop walls before ganging up to tear a spider apart.

I think that would depend a lot on your soil in the area you put them into. Does it have appropriate particles of the correct size rocks?

Supplying grit can't hurt since they know what food is by now -- it would be extra insurance. The hard part is finding grit in small quantities.

I sprinkled pinches of sand next to my chick feeders from day one because the first thing the Ideal Dozen did in my outdoor brooder after I'd unpacked them and dipped their beaks in the water was snap up some of the bugs that had died on the heat lamp the night before. Likewise with the previous year's chicks that I brought home from the farm store -- they sampled the feed and then started pecking ants off the coop walls before ganging up to tear a spider apart.
Got to love these baby dinosaurs!🤣

This is my first year with chickens, so take my comments for what they're worth.

I figure it can't hurt. Some of the more experienced hobbyists often comment that the chickens know what their bodies need, and it's best to offer things and let the birds decide.

I bought a small bag of chick grit. When my chicks were indoors, I'd sprinkle a little around. Mine have outgrown chick grit, but I'll have it for the next chicks.

https://www.amazon.com/Manna-Pro-1000195-Chick-Probiotics/dp/B01N7KBFCS

Last edited:
This is what I have. It was actually super small pieces, so I sprinkled it in their outside space & a little in their brooder. Thank you all for your advice!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    309.4 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom