Sponsored Post Grit and Oyster Shell: When in Doubt, Put it Out

For what it's worth here's the definition of "Soluble"

sol·u·ble (s l y -b l). adj. 1. That can be dissolved, especially easily dissolved: soluble fats. 2. Possible to solve or explain: soluble mysteries.

DO NOT toss Oyster Shell grit on the floor of the coop , run or yard. It will simply be wasting grit. Once it gets wet it's gone.

Further at $10 a 50# bag that is not cheap to me. Chickens will knock it out of the dish.

As for recycling your egg shells? That's a smart thing. I personally keep a can near the stove and when it's full crush them up and toss them in with the scratch.

As for Osyster shell I like to toss a handful into the feeder with the pellets. You could also mix it with crumbles if that is what you use. It is not necessary to have oyster shells "on demand".

As for Gran i Grit, I like to toss this under the feeders. If I put it in a dish they just knock it over, though I do have two small feeders attached to the wall of the run.

My point is don't be fooled into thinking you can toss the Soluble oyster shell grit on the floor. Once it gets wet by whatever means it is gone.

I wish you well,

Rancher

This article was well written and I am glad it was posted. We had someone talk to a group of kids about caring for chickens. They said to use oyster shells for grit. After the meeting, I made sure to discuss the difference between grit and oyster shells with my daughter. I made sure she knew that oyster shells were not the same thing because they dissolve. Many chicken owners I talk to seem to not understand this. They figure the oyster shells are hard, so they are the same thing. I am glad that articles like this exist to show the difference.

I went back to the feed store and asked for a label on the grit they sell. Sure enough it has some calcium (probably from oyster shells), etc.Now I just have to find a place that has real grit and not a mixture. I am surprised it is so hard to find small granite pebbles.

Okay, I found a place about 30 minutes away that sells crushed granite by the ton. But they have an option to buy a bag for 5 bucks and fill it as much as you want. A full bag weighs 100 lbs. I think that would last my 4 chickens a lifetime. I think they were going through the other "grit" so fast because it had too much soluble stuff in it.

The have 3 sizes. 1/8" , 3/8" , and 3/4". I wish they had a 1/4 inch. I am thinking the 1/8 inch might not be big enough for a large (aka standard) chicken. But the 3/8 might be too big. At that price I figure I will mix those two sizes and let the chickens decide (I am sure some will be in the 1/4 inch range anyway). But I might call some of the other places I found to see how much 1/4 inch would be.

This actually brings me to something I would like added to the "article". That is size for grit. There are different ideas, but Gran-I-Grit advertises the following size guidelines:
Starter
1/16” - 3/32”

Grower
3/32” - 3/16”

Developer – Layer
3/16” - 5/16”

Turkey
5/16” - 7/16”

Turkey Finisher
7/16” - 5/8”

Too small a size and the grit will pass through the gizzard. To large and the birds won't eat it. I believe that given a choice they will pick out what they need, but never know with chickens. I know a lot of people say that their free range chickens don't need supplemental grit, but I would argue that it depends on the soil where they live. A lot of what the birds will get free ranging will be too small to be affective. I also believe that having the appropriate grit in their system will help the food stay in there longer to be processed and not be wasted as it passes through. The hens probably eat less as a result and you save on feed. But that is mostly conjecture on my part. I DO believe that grit is an important part of caring for chickens.

Great article!

I let mine free range and we have a crushed granite driveway. It really hardly ever snows here so I don't have to be concerned with snow accumulation. So their able to get all the grit they desire. I do add Oyster shell occasionally to their food inside the coop. They'll wander in from time to time and peck at the mix with their food. I've noticed their shells are very hard.

Excellent information Mavrk!

Okay, I found a place about 30 minutes away that sells crushed granite by the ton. But they have an option to buy a bag for 5 bucks and fill it as much as you want. A full bag weighs 100 lbs. I think that would last my 4 chickens a lifetime. I think they were going through the other "grit" so fast because it had too much soluble stuff in it.

On that point, you're probably right. My 8 birds have used maybe 10# of a 50# bag in 6 months. My chickens do free range some, and our property is fairly rocky, I'd say maybe 5-10% gravels in the top soil (I think there are some relic/abandoned driveways or something near the coop).

I used to buy those little 5# bags--I know they're far more expensive but they also take up much less room. I still buy the little bags of Oyster Shell--I think the one we've got is almost gone and I'm almost certain I got it when I got the 50# bag of grit. I don't think they go through the oyster shell as fast because they eat a layer ration and I don't give them too many scraps. I know there isn't any calcium supplemented in our grit.

This is a good thread since there is much misinformation out there and I've found what is out there is subjective.

I store my grit in a metal trash can. While the insoluble is ok to toss or dump in a dish the soluble will just get wasted.

A little of the oyster shell goes a long way. If you find coarse shells it could be due to to much calcium. I know the eggs that I bought at Walmart once had shells like sand paper.

Marvk , you're very lucky to find insoluble grit for such a price.

It's my OP that a goodly supply of on demand insoluble grit will help avoid crop problems by moving things along.

I recently gave my girls, a small container of play sand. They seem to be going for it, will that do the trick as far as grit is concerned?

I recently gave my girls, a small container of play sand. They seem to be going for it, will that do the trick as far as grit is concerned?

I wouldn't say so. It won't hurt but it's not the same.

Insoluble grit is kept for a time in the Gizzard of the bird. It helps to grind things up. This is why when you butcher a bird you'll find grit in the gizzard as well as undigested food. Chickens don't have teeth and the gizzard takes the place of those.

I personally toss some around the base of their feeder as well as dump a pile of it. I'm considering making an area in the corner of my chicken runs and just dumping a load of gravel or grit there.

You could also use a bag of builders gravel. Though you'll want to make sure it's not treated with any chemicals. It may have some large stones but also usually has smaller stones are well.

Understand that the grit that they sell for chickens is only ground up granite rocks. It's just less hassle to buy stone already prepared for chickens.

Oyster shell is composed of something different and contains "silica"

Be aware that if you might want to wear a face mask if you are going to be using a lot of grit. The dust is hazardous. Be sure to read the label.

I agree...great info. Thanks, especially, for the tip on the solubility of oyster shell. I'll not put it in the run anymore, just in the cup on the side. Great thoughts on the grit, too. There's a few places near us that might have more in bulk.

Back
Top Bottom