Grit - in a container or scattered on the ground?

Grit is what chickens, and most birds for that matter, need to digest their food. Since they don't have teeth, they eat insoluble things like rocks that go into their crop so that when they eat food, it first goes through the crop to be ground up by those rocks and easily digested. They need grit if they are eating anything other than crumbles. You can buy it in bags at the feed store, or your chickens will just pick it up off the ground in forms of sand, dirt, and rocks. Your chickens know that they're supposed to eat grit so they will try and get it however they can. Most people just supplement it with bought grit to ensure they have a healthy supply of it for their crop.

Edit: I was corrected that the grit goes to the gizzard to grind up food, not to the crop! Sorry for the mistake!
Thanks I found some at a place in town!

I ended up giving them a container after all. A nice looking one :lol: They went wild for it and emptied almost the whole container, shoving it down their faces... I can’t really tell if it’s because they needed it, though, or simply because they’re used to me giving them yummy things in bowls, and will probably eat anything out of a bowl... This grit’s texture is also very similar to their feed crumbles. After the first day, they lost interest and I haven’t had to refill it again.

2812797D-5A09-4453-83BB-3E88B5A8DCC5.jpeg

IN the USA, 'grit' and 'oyster shells' are sold and discusses as separate items.
Grit is about the granite or other stones that chickens use in their gizzards to grind food.
Oyster shell is exactly that, or something very similar; the calcium chunks that the bird uses as they dissolve, that go into the egg shells.
I think that in the UK these items are described as absorbable and unabsorbable grit

Back
Top Bottom