Grit or No grit...

Skipcurt

Songster
Jan 10, 2018
Woodstock, GA
So I've got 5 day old chicks and they're in the brooder eating chick starter. It was so nice out today with temps around 75 so I thought I'd treat the ladies to some yard time. Sat out there with them for about 15 minutes and started thinking about whether or not they would be able to handle whatever it is that they're eating. I have not offered them grit yet but if they are going outside like that should I start offering it or are they getting grit out there?

Skip

Still having problems with our RIR hen laying eggs that are soft on one end. She was our best layer and don't know what the problem is. She is fed Purina laying mash that has oyster shells in it and also has free choice shells. Anyone ever had this problem?

I hate that they sell chick grit in a 10 lb bag when my 3 chicks will only need a half cup max.

Still having problems with our RIR hen laying eggs that are soft on one end. She was our best layer and don't know what the problem is. She is fed Purina laying mash that has oyster shells in it and also has free choice shells. Anyone ever had this problem?
Hi, @carlsonbwin !
Do you know how to post your own thread? If you don't, go to Forums, select the forum that matches your topic, and click Post New Thread.
This way, more people will be able to see and answer your question, and it will provide more opportunities for other people to get posts on their own threads that will help them.
;)

I prefer to make grit available to chicks the first week regardless of what I give them to eat. I feel that it helps stimulate gizzard growth and health.

I do have a small bag of chick sized grit along with "regular" sized grit - I keep both in a bucket with a gamma seal lid. No need to get rid of all of it - just place a little in a small cup that is attached to a post in your run.

You will have more chicks/chickens eventually - Yes?:)

If you have feed store options other than TSC you can also check those to see if they have a bulk bin section. The one I frequent has bulk bins for everything from grit to scratch to feed, so you can just buy the amount you need.

Back
Top Bottom