Grit & Oyster Shells

Haylea2495

In the Brooder
Jul 5, 2017
What is the difference between Grit and Oyster Shells? Do they do the same thing or is one more benificial than the other?

They are 2 different things, for 2 different purposes.
Chickens don't have teeth, so they need grit to grind up their food, other than normal chicken feed. Grit is stored in their gizzard, where the grinding process is done, to break down food. Use the correct size grit for the age of your chickens.

Oyster shell is for laying hens. It provides calcium to make a hard shell on the eggs they lay. Do not feed oyster shell to chickens before they start laying eggs.

They are 2 different things, for 2 different purposes.
Chickens don't have teeth, so they need grit to grind up their food, other than normal chicken feed. Grit is stored in their gizzard, where the grinding process is done, to break down food. Use the correct size grit for the age of your chickens.

Oyster shell is for laying hens. It provides calcium to make a hard shell on the eggs they lay. Do not feed oyster shell to chickens before they start laying eggs.

Thank you. If my chickens are free range will they pick up small pebbles for that purpose or do I need to still add grit?

I had the same question. So do they digest the oyster shells ? And the oyster shell does not help break up their food ? I tried to buy grit at the local feed store and they looked at me like I had two heads !

I had the same question. So do they digest the oyster shells ? And the oyster shell does not help break up their food ? I tried to buy grit at the local feed store and they looked at me like I had two heads !
The oyster will “digest” and the hens body will utilize the calcium.
I’ve watched my hens stop at the small oyster shell bin and eat some right before going into the coop for the night.
Put it somewhere close to the coop where it won’t get wet.
No it doesn’t help to grind their food...at least not very much.
Most store bought grit is granite.
It does the trick.
I have rocks in my yard but they’re too big for them to swallow so I get them grit.

That is truly ridiculous about your feed store.
They should know something! :barnie:he
Is there another feed store you could try?
Grit can be bought on Amazon too.
Just search “poultry grit”.
Be sure not to get chick sized grit if your birds are older than 7 or 8 weeks. Chick size is too small to be very effective once they’re bigger.

The oyster will “digest” and the hens body will utilize the calcium.
I’ve watched my hens stop at the small oyster shell bin and eat some right before going into the coop for the night.
Put it somewhere close to the coop where it won’t get wet.
No it doesn’t help to grind their food...at least not very much.
Most store bought grit is granite.
It does the trick.
I have rocks in my yard but they’re too big for them to swallow so I get them grit.

That is truly ridiculous about your feed store.
They should know something! :barnie:he
Is there another feed store you could try?
Grit can be bought on Amazon too.
Just search “poultry grit”.
Be sure not to get chick sized grit if your birds are older than 7 or 8 weeks. Chick size is too small to be very effective once they’re bigger.
OK thanks, I'll have to check Tractor Supply.

They will pick up stones as they free range but grit is cheep enough, that I would still have it available, for them. 25 lb (manna pro)at tractor supply is $8.99, right now it's $7.99 on sale.

A 25lb supply of grit is like a lifetime supply for most chicken keepers. Besides, grit is hard Igneous rocks and it never will rot or go bad. If you look around you may even find a 50lb sack of grit for the same money.

Back
Top Bottom