1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Grit Vs Gravel?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Poop Cleaner, Dec 19, 2015.

1. Poop Cleaner

Poop Cleaner Out Of The Brooder

Dec 13, 2015
    California
    Hello,

Is there any difference between grit and gravel? I have a pile of gravel just sitting around from digging up the driveway, as well as aquarium gravel.

I was thinking about using it to fill in some holes in the coop. Will chickens eat it, and will it harm them?

2. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    It's not going to hurt them. Gravel is probably too large and they won't even pick it up. It's also too smooth to have a crushing effect.

3. hillbillyreefer

hillbillyreefer Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2015
    Gravel isn't a problem. The girls will pick through it to find what they need.

4. Poop Cleaner

Dec 13, 2015
    California
    Thanks! Is it necessary to still supply feed store bought grit if I let them free range daily?

5. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator

Personally I never give grit. My flock free ranges and they get what they need from foraging. Obviously it's a personal choice.

Ct

6. hillbillyreefer

Jul 27, 2015

I do the same.

7. Poop Cleaner

Dec 13, 2015
    California
    So it is not required to give grit to chickens that free range? How do I know that they are getting enough?

8. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Not in my experience. They wil seek it out whilst foraging. If you are concerned however, there's no reason not to give grit as an option.

Ct

9. hillbillyreefer

Jul 27, 2015
    I wouldn't say it's necessary. Most animals if allowed to forage will find what they need, they've survived this long, they will continue to do so.

Relax. They are independent animals if allowed to be.

That being said, if it's making you crazy not giving them grit, go ahead and do it. It will not harm a thing.:D

Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
  10. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    PC, it all depends on what your soil is like. If you live where there is nothing but sand, your birds would benefit from being offered some grit. If they have access to the ground and can pick up small pebbles, they should be fine. (think approx 1/8 - 1/4" diameter) Also, if the ground is frozen for more than 6 months of the year, they might benefit from having access to some grit during the winter. If the aquarium gravel is not the colored kind, I wouldn't worry if they ingest it. But as PP stated, it's most likely too smooth to be of benefit to them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by