Grit vs no grit

rkapfen

Songster
Feb 22, 2018
Bay Area, CA
I’m getting day old chicks next month and have been reading a ton of conflicting information on grit. I know naturally chickens will get it from your soul but I’m paranoid they won’t be able to find enough of it or will run out of it.
A. Do you guys use grit with your baby chicks and at which age do you start it?
B. If you do use grit with your chickens do you still keep it in a separate container or do you mix it in with their food?

HI, welcome! IMO, grit is essential. When I start chicks, I give them grit shortly after they have started eating and drinking well. After the first day or two, when they are filling their crops and eating well, I give them a plug of sod from my yard. This gives them: first grit, minerals, first greens, perhaps a few insects, seeds, and worms. First experience "scratching" for their grub, first dust bath and LOTS of play value. That soil will also load their guts with beneficial bacteria and fungi to jump start their gut flora and their immune systems. That soil will also give them their first exposure to the pathogens they will encounter in your yard. This is a GOOD thing. They need that exposure during the first 2 weeks of their lives, while they still have antibodies received (while still in the egg) from their mother!

If you have a gravel driveway, you can also scoop some gravel up for them. They should be able to pick out the sizes of grit that they need from that. Don't get your gravel from the side of the road. Too many contaminants there.

Don't put grit in the chick's feed. Serve it up separately.

While you are researching, I do hope you will look at your brooder options: A heating pad brooder is much safer, more economical and comes as close as possible to resembling the type of heat supplied by a broody hen. (compared to a heat lamp.) Do a thread search for Mother Heating pad in the brooder. @Blooie has 2 wonderful articles and a thread dedicated to the subject. Also, you can provide a nice big brooder by picking up an appliance box. By the time your chicks are 2 - 3 weeks old, they will need 2 s.f./chick!!!

I always keep a bag of grit available, as young chicks I don't give it to them ASAP. Since they are only eating starter. I usually start giving it to them at 2-3 weeks. Because by then I am offering grass, treats, etc.

I never have to give it to my adult flock, since they forage dusk till dawn on 20+ acres. And they have numerous places where they have access to natural grit.
I do give it to them when they have been locked up in the coop for any reason, though.

Even if you don't feel the need to give it to a free ranging flock, always just keep some on hand. As some members have said, it's better to be safe than sorry ;)

I give it to them. It's so cheap and I'd rather be safe than sorry. As soon as they are on pine shavings I put some on a shallow dish (Tupperware lid) or sprinkled on top of their crumble and they usually eat it right up. It's not something you need to give every day and it doesn't take much. I have about a table spoon to 14 chicks today that are 4 days old. It doesn't go bad so even if you don't have chicks again for a while it'll still be good.

I give it to them. It's so cheap and I'd rather be safe than sorry. As soon as they are on pine shavings I put some on a shallow dish (Tupperware lid) or sprinkled on top of their crumble and they usually eat it right up. It's not something you need to give every day and it doesn't take much. I have about a table spoon to 14 chicks today that are 4 days old. It doesn't go bad so even if you don't have chicks again for a while it'll still be good.
X2

This is a good read regarding the importance of grit
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/the-science-of-feeding-grit-to-poultry.891051/

Back
Top Bottom