Grit vs Oyster Shell Question

Because it is soft and dissolves. Grit is what they need to help them digest what they eat.

Yes, but how about before it dissolves? Does it dissolve as fast as chicken pellets?

My question remains.. how can we be so sure that oyster shell doesn't aid in digestion?

Yes, but how about before it dissolves? Does it dissolve as fast as chicken pellets?

My question remains.. how can we be so sure that oyster shell doesn't aid in digestion?
Oyster shell serves main purpose to provide calcium to laying hens and pullets while grit aids with digesting food.
Let them? How would I stop them if they had a mind to do so?
Pick it up before they get a chance.

Oyster shell serves main purpose to provide calcium to laying hens and pullets while grit aids with digesting food.

Pick it up before they get a chance.
So I should sit with my hands under their butts until they poop an egg out? Just to save money? or something? By feeding egg shells. Yes, it would be a cool idea if it didn't cause behavior problems. You say it does, but you just get the eggs fast enough to prevent it. No thanks.

I understand the "Internet Chicken Gospel" states that the main purpose for oyster shells is a calcium supplement.. and that chicken wire is not for chicken coops. But I simply wondered if oyster shell might also digest chicken pellets better than nothing.

I posed two fair related topics of discussion and you are determined to shut that down. that's fine I guess..

So I should sit with my hands under their butts until they poop an egg out? Just to save money? or something? By feeding egg shells. Yes, it would be a cool idea if it didn't cause behavior problems. You say it does, but you just get the eggs fast enough to prevent it. No thanks.

I understand the "Internet Chicken Gospel" states that the main purpose for oyster shells is a calcium supplement.. and that chicken wire is not for chicken coops. But I simply wondered if oyster shell might also digest chicken pellets better than nothing.

I posed two fair related topics of discussion and you are determined to shut that down. that's fine I guess..
Then your answer is no, oyster shell doesn’t help with digestion.

Back
Top Bottom