Grit vs Oyster Shell Question

Grit is granite pieces for digestion, oyster shell is for calcium. It's not the same thing, if your chickens run around outside, they usually don't need grit. Sussex tend to lay medium to large eggs. What do you feed them?
We're feeding DuMOR 16% Layer Pellet Poultry Feed. I also ferment their feed.

No stones in my soil at all 😕

My Sussex are laying small eggs with an occasional very large double yolker.

Gravel is huge compared to grit. Same material, but much too large for chickens.

Given how cheap commercial grit is, I'd offer both to your chickens in separate trays. They'll peck at them as they feel the need. The shell-less eggs are a definite concern because they likely have withdrawn as much calcium from their bones as they can before that happens.
The shell-less thing was only twice. I think it was a hen who just started laying. Hasn't happened again.
It was the weirdest feeling to go under a hen to get and egg and feel that. I thought it was the hen. Yuck.

So chickens know when they need some and will take it at that time?

An alternative to oyster shells is to give back the shells that you take from them. I like to crush up the egg shells and sprinkle them around in the run. My girls will take as much as they want.

Additionally, make sure you are using layer feed (for the purpose of calcium) and not using scratch or excessive treats (as these can dilute the nutrients the hens need).

We're feeding DuMOR 16% Layer Pellet Poultry Feed. I also ferment it because it's supposed to be more nutritious.
I had a bunch of eggs that were getting a bit old so I hard boiled them and then crushed them up with the shells and gave it to them.
We sprinkle a cup of scratch around their yard just to give them something to do in the morning. Not anything much. Sometimes some grass.

We're feeding DuMOR 16% Layer Pellet Poultry Feed. I also ferment their feed.

No stones in my soil at all 😕

My Sussex are laying small eggs with an occasional very large double yolker.
You can try switching to a higher protein feed, such as flock raiser, as 16% is the minimum protein needed. and provide shells. Not every chicken across a breed lays what 'they say they lay.

I installed one of these livestock mineral feeders for grit and oyster shell. One in one side and the other in the second. Works fantastic and no waste that I can tell. I screwed into the side of my hen house wall that is about 6-8" off the ground.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/fortiflex-mf-2-mineral-feeder-2x175-qt-capacity-black

That looks like a good option. I made a grit and calcium feeder out of a couple of PVC pipes and elbows. Just fill it from the top and it autofeeds the grit and calcium as the chicken eat it. I have it mounted in the coop so the grit and calcium is available 24/7 as needed. I only have to refill it maybe every 2-3 months.

I have 10 chickens. I still have about half a bag of grit and calcium I purchased 3 years ago. It's not expensive, and lasts forever. My chickens also are outside most of the day (in the non snow months) so they can get grit from the ground, and I will save our egg shells, crush them up, and feed them back to the chickens.

Back
Top Bottom