Grit vs Oyster Shell Question

Our two flocks are 15 weeks and 4 weeks. Should we still give our part time free range 15wk flock grit?
(Love our PVC feeder btw! Hubby made a how to on TikTok)

Attachments

• 72FFABB8-2184-484D-902B-C7B80C87C764.jpeg
    72FFABB8-2184-484D-902B-C7B80C87C764.jpeg
    678.9 KB · Views: 2
Your call. If they free range for only an hour/day, I'd supplement with grit. If they free range all day, they should be fine. Anywhere in between, then ??? I consider grit to be cheap insurance for good digestive health. Feed pellets don't need grit (they dissolve in water), but any other food- scratch grains, vegetation, bugs, etc. are "chewed" using the grit.

Very nice feeder. Looks exactly like mine. If you get some spillage, you may need to add a semi-circle plate at the bottom of the opening to make it harder to spill.

We're feeding DuMOR 16% Layer Pellet Poultry Feed.
Unfortunately we don't have stones, rocks, sand or anything in our soil. Just clay that gets cement hard as the weather warms?
I was thinking of getting a dump truck full of gravel.
I was just wondering about the oyster shell because it's the same size as grit.
I am very disappointed with DuMOR 16% layer feed. My original set of girls were having all sorts of nutrition related issues. As I was talking with the lady that I got my second set of chicks from she recommended Game Bird 30% protein starter crumbles by Purina. I have used it ever since and have had zero problems! I also leave calcium on the side for them.

I am very disappointed with DuMOR 16% layer feed. My original set of girls were having all sorts of nutrition related issues. As I was talking with the lady that I got my second set of chicks from she recommended Game Bird 30% protein starter crumbles by Purina. I have used it ever since and have had zero problems! I also leave calcium on the side for them.
What did she recommend for layer food?
The high protein is only good until they start laying and the layers need calcium.

We're feeding DuMOR 16% Layer Pellet Poultry Feed.
Unfortunately we don't have stones, rocks, sand or anything in our soil. Just clay that gets cement hard as the weather warms?
I was thinking of getting a dump truck full of gravel.
I was just wondering about the oyster shell because it's the same size as grit.
If you have a run you could use crush and run on the ground... Or church up a lawn ornament and border with some crush and gravel. I just paid 35 dollars for a half-ton of it but you can buy by the bag at Lowe's or home Depot.

If you have a run you could use crush and run on the ground... Or church up a lawn ornament and border with some crush and gravel. I just paid 35 dollars for a half-ton of it but you can buy by the bag at Lowe's or home Depot.
That's what I was thinking. Getting a truck load of small gravel but someone said it would be too big and wouldn't work.

Is there a concern that feeding egg shells to hens might start a nasty habit, like eating eggs? Seems like that is what you're training them to do.

Back
Top Bottom