grit

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by riley, Jan 11, 2009.

1. riley

riley Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2008
    Mooers, NY
    when should you or should start using grit in with your chick starter feed

2. Nemo

Nemo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    N'rn Wisconsin
    I've heard as long as you are only giving them feed, they don't need grit. But, when you start giving them other foods and treats, they will need grit.

3. chickabator

chickabator Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    ky
    I start at 4 days old giving them a little parakeet grit that you buy in the store. but I do not give every day. 1 tsp to every 10 teaspoons of feed

4. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    I've heard as long as you are only giving them feed, they don't need grit. But, when you start giving them other foods and treats, they will need grit.

That is also my understanding of chicks and grit. Most chick starters come with grit already in them and they don't need additional grit.​

5. Hiedi

Hiedi Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Upstate SC
    Quote:I agree with this as well. When I started feeding treats to my chicks and letting them outside where they were eating all kinds of stuff, that is when I started giving them "insoluble" grit (crushed granite) in with their food. I bought mine from Tractor Supply Co. I got the grit that is designed specifically for chicks (smaller size). The bag tells how much to mix in their food; but honestly, I just sprinkled a little on their food. Make sure you do not give them oyster shell, which is soluble. The chicks do not need extra calcium now. Once my pullets reached a certain age, I switched to regular size grit for chickens.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp...02|16201|48678?listingPage=true&Special=false

6. skeeter

skeeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Parma Idaho
    no you probally dont need to give it, check the bag,but it wont hurt them either

7. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    You do not need to give them grit at all, unless you are giving them food other than chick starter feed. There are some treats you can give that you do not need to provide grit with, as well, such as yogurt. [​IMG]

8. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Parakeet grit has calcium added. I wouldn't use much of it with chicks. I can't find chick size grit at any feed store so I just use sand. A bag of granite based handy sand is only something like $5 for 50lbs from the hardware store. I also use it for my button quail since the parakeet grit is usually really expensive for a rather small box or bag.

9. MissJames

MissJames Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2008
    Coastal SC
    Quote:I have been using sand also.When I asked for grit at my local feed store they looked stumped......didn't know what DE was ,either.Guess I'll just have to pay shipping cost.Darn horse people:D

10. chickabator

chickabator Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    ky
    you know I never read the ingrediants on the parakeet grit that is what I was advised to give them at 4 days old. I guess I won't be using that anymore

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by