grit

I've heard as long as you are only giving them feed, they don't need grit. But, when you start giving them other foods and treats, they will need grit.

I start at 4 days old giving them a little parakeet grit that you buy in the store. but I do not give every day. 1 tsp to every 10 teaspoons of feed

I've heard as long as you are only giving them feed, they don't need grit. But, when you start giving them other foods and treats, they will need grit.

That is also my understanding of chicks and grit. Most chick starters come with grit already in them and they don't need additional grit.​

Quote:
I agree with this as well. When I started feeding treats to my chicks and letting them outside where they were eating all kinds of stuff, that is when I started giving them "insoluble" grit (crushed granite) in with their food. I bought mine from Tractor Supply Co. I got the grit that is designed specifically for chicks (smaller size). The bag tells how much to mix in their food; but honestly, I just sprinkled a little on their food. Make sure you do not give them oyster shell, which is soluble. The chicks do not need extra calcium now. Once my pullets reached a certain age, I switched to regular size grit for chickens.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp...02|16201|48678?listingPage=true&Special=false

You do not need to give them grit at all, unless you are giving them food other than chick starter feed. There are some treats you can give that you do not need to provide grit with, as well, such as yogurt.
smile.png

Parakeet grit has calcium added. I wouldn't use much of it with chicks. I can't find chick size grit at any feed store so I just use sand. A bag of granite based handy sand is only something like $5 for 50lbs from the hardware store. I also use it for my button quail since the parakeet grit is usually really expensive for a rather small box or bag.

Quote:
I have been using sand also.When I asked for grit at my local feed store they looked stumped......didn't know what DE was ,either.Guess I'll just have to pay shipping cost.Darn horse people:D

you know I never read the ingrediants on the parakeet grit that is what I was advised to give them at 4 days old. I guess I won't be using that anymore

Back
Top Bottom