Grits and eggs

Dipsy Doodle Doo

ODD BIRD
13 Years
Jan 11, 2007
Aiken, South Carolina 29801
My Coop
My Coop
Hi! Dinner tonight was grits, sausage, and eggs.
I was curious if anyone, besides myself, just cooks a pot of grits for lunch (I don't eat breakfast) and what tasty things you add.
I can't enjoy a bowl of grits without a big spoonful of mayo (no butter, just mayo*). When I'm enthusiastic, I saute an onion and make grits on top of that. And add cheese sometimes.
Mmmmm...
smile.png

Lisa
*I use mayo on toast instead of butter, just not a butter-fan.

Yum..Grits!I love mine with salt, pepper and lots of butter...
also..they are good with cheese mixed in with them..
also..shrimp and grits are yum too!
Sometimes if i want something sweet..i'll add sugar and milk to the grits.
Never had grits with mayo..i'll have to try it!!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
DH and DS will eat ehm just to eat them. Me, NO WAY!!
sickbyc.gif

Of course, I won't eat greens, hominy, beans or corn bread and I cdon't put gravy on ANYTHING. I'm a HORRIBLE southern woman!

Oh, and I hate iced tea. I guess you should Revoke my membership now
gig.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grits

Grits are the palette upon which a meal can be painted. A little of a colorful/flavorful food mixed into grits gives you an entire meal unto itself.

My favorite way to eat grits is with a bit of powdered chipotle (smoked, dried red ripe jalapenos) sprinkled on top. Failing that then a bit of hot sauce.

But if I'm frying ham/bacon/Spam I like to chop up some onion and/or sweet bell pepper and saute those in a bit of the drippings until tender and serve those over the top.

I've done the same with squash, tomatoes, even eggplant.

Anything you can serve on polenta you can serve on grits.

Just don't put sugar on them!

.....Alan.

Oh yeah!! We love grits and usually eat them for brunch. We don't usually eat breakfast or lunch but combine the two and have brunch. Grits with eggs, toast and jam is one of our favorites.

Back
Top Bottom