Gritty Eggs

Disheygirl

Songster
Mar 21, 2021
Indianapolis, IN
It may just be that I am a crazy person, but…

When I scramble my girls’ eggs, a lot of times I notice a certain grit to them. Not big grit…just a little gritty. It’s not eggshell. I don’t have a rooster. My coop floor is sand and I swear, my mind is playing tricks on me, but there’s no chance that ingestion of sand makes its way into the eggs, right? The yolk isn’t picking up stomach or gizzard (or crop) contents on its way down?

Can you see grit in the egg anywhere? a hen is born with as many yolks as she's ever going to have, they mature as they're needed, I don't think grit can get through the from the digestive tract but maybe it could through the vent? But I'd think you'd see it, very strange.

So you can feel it when your eating scambled eggs? Only scrambled eggs, or other things too? Most likely scenario is the eggs are being overcooked. Try taking them off the heat just before they are at your preferred texture. They will cook a little in the hot pan anyway while off heat. If you add salt, lessen the amount. Salt will draw draw the moisture away from the eggs. Beating vigorously before cooking always helps too. Good luck.

Thanks for all the replies!! It doesn’t make sense, and good idea to try them hard boiled or sunny side up so I can compare. So far, I‘ve just compared scrambled to eggs I also scramble from a free-range farm down the way.

It could also be one hen’s eggs that are off because I don’t scramble one at a time to see if there is a difference, but from the responses, sand in the coop isn’t the culprit, whatever this weirdness is.

It appears I have some more research to do…🤪

Back
Top Bottom