Gross and Evil or Efficient?

Quote:
Yeah! I would NEVER try to eat near my chickens. I'd end up with a lapfull of birds!
BTW: Mine eat any and all kitchen scraps. They look like little raptors when they run around with bones in their beaks.

yuckyuck.gif

I wish I would of had a camera last Thanksgiving. We threw in a turkey carcass, and after about an hour I went back out to check on them. Our little buff silkie was asleep on the inside if the body cavity!

I would say it is extremely efficient.

Since then ours have recieved carcasses from the following leftovers: duck, rabbit, chicken, a venison bone, and a lamb bone. We cooked the bones in the pressure cooker to make them turn into a paste, you should have seen them dive on them!

Emily in NC

Last year two of our "pullets" grew up to be roosters. And they turned out to be mean -- a little too rough on the hens and WAY too rough on people. It wasn't safe to collect eggs. I was the only one who could go in there at all, and even I had to fend them off constantly.

Attacking people is not a good strategy for a chicken.

Those roos were delicious, and yes we fed the scraps to the girls. They really tore into those carcasses. My guy, watching them, said "they must know who it is."

Our chickens were showing at the fair last week and hubby and I had to go see them. We went to lunch and I had some leftover shredded chicken. I packed it up for them. Hubby threatened to leave me at the fair if I fed it to them.

He finally gave in, but told me that if anyone asked it was shredded pork!

My chickens eat everything including venison and they love it all I told them they were eating the remnants of their buddy "BOB" last week who had been with them the better part of a year and they did not mind at all I swear in chicken talk they were saying "THANKS BOB" this is for all them times you ripped my back up!

it is efficient but may i make a suggestion

after eating chicken at my house i stick my stock pot full of water onto the stovetop

i dip the pan the chicken was cooked in to get the juices and spices into the water

after dinner i throw any bones, the carcase, a bit of salt, and any discarded fat or skin into the water i let all of this simmer until i go to bed

then i switch off the burner cover the pot (to give it time to cool) and go to sleep,

the next morning i take out square or rectangular tupperware and liquid safe frezer bags i pour the stock into the frezerbags while they sit in the tupperware place the lid ontop (it does not have to seal) and stack the tupperware into the freezer

in a few days you can take the bags out of the tupperware and return the now block shaped cubes of broth to the freezer your tupperware should still be clean and may return to it's home and the broth can be stacked on the bottom of the frezer so you lose no surface area

it is however important not to place warm broth in the frezer as you will defrost its contents

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom