Gross question about deceased dog

bock

Songster
11 Years
Oct 10, 2008
Northern CA
*Do not read if you don't think you can handle it* *please*

I left at about 8:15 this morning, to go to the doctor. When, we were driving home around 10 I noticed a yellow lab by the train tracks. I forced myself to go look, because I thought I might recognize him/her. I was disgusted to find the dog was decapitated and looked torn up in the rear end. It was horrible, and gross. I couldn't even tell if I knew the dog or not. I am wondering if this could have happened when it was hit by a car/train, if a predator took it, or if some sick person actually did this. There were vultures near, but the dog didn't look like it had been killed very recently. The reason I am suspicious, is in the past there has been a tortured-looking pig dumped and cow parts in a trash bag. I will spare you the details. However, that was over a year ago and the pig was reported. This is the first thing I have seen in a long time, and maybe I am just overreacting. Sorry if that was too much info, I am completely horrified and disgusted, I am just wondering if predators would have taken the head like that. If there really is some beyond horrible person out there hurting animals I want to report it, but am not sure if a human actually did this. Thanks for your input, and sorry again if it was too much

It could have been hit by the train and something carried the head off. You really can't report anything because you have no idea what happened. But it really does sound like the train decapitated it.

I would report it. The proper authorities will be able to tell if it was a train or something else that killed it. I would doubt it was the train, a dog getting that close to the train would have been much more seriously damaged. If there is someone around killing/torturing pets for fun, someone needs to be made aware.

Last edited:
I would report it too. Call the police and the humane society. It could have been hit by a train but that seems pretty unlikely unless the dog was really sick and unable to move from the tracks. Or already dead when the train came through.

Maybe the dog was hit by a car, then crawled over and laid down on the tracks??? The body wasn't that close though, and there wasn't any blood around it, which makes me think someone might have moved it there. I posted an ad on CL for the owners, and I think I will call the local shelter. I am really not sure what the police would do, if anything. Someone in our neighborhood reported the pig at the bus stop, not sure who they called.

Im not sure about dogs, but earlier this year there was a horse that ran in front of a car & was decapitated. Maybe the dog could have been hit by a car as well
idunno.gif
. Poor thing I hope that however it died was quick & painless...

I suppose that's another possibility, although it seems like it would be closer to the road if that had happened. I guess we will never know. I also hope that it was fast and painless, at least it isn't suffering now.

I live one block away from the local train tracks. Decapitated dogs are found occasionally on the tracks or near them. It happens often enough that it doesnt make the local news anymore. I would report the location of the body to animal control. What is it about trains that causes decapitation so frequently? No matter how big the car is or how fast or hard it hits a dog you just never hear about that same injury when its an automobile that does the damage or is that just morbid to even wonder about things like that?

Last edited:
Maybe the dog was hit by a car, then crawled over and laid down on the tracks??? The body wasn't that close though, and there wasn't any blood around it, which makes me think someone might have moved it there. I posted an ad on CL for the owners, and I think I will call the local shelter. I am really not sure what the police would do, if anything. Someone in our neighborhood reported the pig at the bus stop, not sure who they called.

Animal Control. Even if they can't identify the cause of death, they are who picks up and disposes of the body in my area, and they'd probably like to hear. As someone else said, it could be a missing pet, and AC usually gets called about those too.

What a horrible find, poor dog.

Back
Top Bottom